Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Euro 2004

I like all your picks for the groups altho as JoeU has said Portugal are not as good as they were and I think Russia may give them a run for their money. Home advantage should see them thru tho.

France and the Netherlands are my favorites but I think Spain, Portugal, Italy and even England this time have a great chance. Should be a great tournament.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My group winners are:

Group I
(Spain, Russia). Portugal has been playing terribly lately, and I don't think the home field advantage will help. Figo isn't playing anywhere near what he can. The Russians are a solid bunch, they always have been. I think they can pull the upset. Spain is extremely strong.

Group II
(England, France). England is scarry. It really depends on which English team shows up. I'm sure the Beckham distractions won't help either. France is getting older, and a team like Croatia could sneak in here. I'm sure Mr Zidane will have something to say about that. This could be the "Group of Death".

Group III
(Italy, Sweden) I think Italy takes this group easy, but I'm partial to the Azzuri. Sweden is ok, none of the other teams stand a chance.

Group IV
(Germany, Netherlands). This could also be Group of Death 1A. The Czechs will finish in a close 3rd, and possibly 2nd depending on the Dutch. They always have a highly talented, underachieving side (see England). If they're heads are screwed on right, they could easily beat the Germans, who also have a very solid side.

My sentimental champion is Italy. Whats nice about that is that they could easily win this. They are very strong in goal, solid on defense (both typical Italian traits), and strong in the midfield. The question will be wether or not they can score enough goals to win.

My suprise champion is the Netherlands. Like I said before, if they wake up, watch out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Russia and Holland doing well wouldn't be that much of a surprise. They're both strong. Holland put 6 past Scotland in the 2nd playoff game, when the game really counted.

France have got to be the favourites; just look at Zidane and Thierry Henry on the same team, never even mind the rest of the squad! Oh man!

I'm surprised you put Germany and Spain as your realistic winners. Holland and France have at least as much chance there (tho' teh dutch have a history of shooting themselves in the foot occasionally by squabbling amongst themselves).

My Favourites: France, Germany, Netherlands.

Possibles: Spain, England, Italy

My outsider underdog pick is Sweden, but only if Henrick Larsson plays (which is currently off but he's hinted he's not definitely out). If not, I go with the Czechs who are a lot better than many seem to think.

jmho
dogs
Old 04-13-2004, 06:53 PM

I agree with you on Spain. The problem with Spain is that they are Spain. They seem to always have one of the most talented teams in the World Cup or EuroCup (as the Spanish call it) but they always seem to get unlucky (see screwed as in the last WC) or just play terribly.

They are my favorite team in the competition having lived in Sevilla for 5 months and they could win but I wouldn't bet on them just yet.

On a side note, the national team coach appears to be flirting with the idea of leaving Joaquin off the squad. While I don't like him (he plays for Betis and I'm a Sevillista), he is clearly a huge talent and was Spain's best player in the last World Cup. Some even thought he was the best overall player in that competition.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:56 PM

It's interesting that there is a lot of talk about Russia.

To be honest I haven't been following them at all and know very little about them. I thought the third best team in the group was Greece based on their good play in the qualifying stage (I haven't seen anything about them in their friendlies either). As I said they qualified in Spain's group ahead of them and forced Spain into a playoff with Norway to make the finals.

As I said I know next to nothing about Russia. What should I know?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Russia and Holland doing well wouldn't be that much of a surprise. They're both strong. Holland put 6 past Scotland in the 2nd playoff game, when the game really counted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree they wouldn't be much of a suprise. But Russia is in a very tough group with Portugal in the same group. The Dutch would only be a mild suprise if they win it because they usually find a way to lose it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you put Germany and Spain as your realistic winners.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spain is incredibly strong on both offense and defense. Germany is the WC runner up.

I wouldn't count France out. But they had essentially the same team in the WC and stunk up the joint.

All this talk is getting me excited about the tourney. I have a friend going to Portugal to see the tourney. Wish I was him! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 04-14-2004, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All this talk is getting me excited about the tourney. I have a friend going to Portugal to see the tourney. Wish I was him!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you!

I would go, but I live on the opposite coast from my fiance and so I will be going home for the summer. That will be good too, but I would love to be there. I was in Spain in 2000 but had to come home early so I missed Euro2000.

Hopefully I can go to Germany 2006. You too.

On the subject of Spain. It is a surprising pick because they are Spain. There have been several tournaments, both WC and EC where they have had what most consider one of the best teams but somehow they are out. Look at the last World Cup. They were one of the best teams in group stage. Then they fell victim to the worst officiating (it was actually the AR) that I have seen at any level above High School. Euro2004 they go out to France on penalties. On both these occasions I think they were playing as well as anyone in the tournament and had the best team.

Don't forget about Casillas. He's the best keeper in the world.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:20 PM

I agree. It seems that they have been the victim of some "bad BEats" lately. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess statistically, it migh be their turn to put a bad beat on someone else.

Debating whether Casillias is the best keeper in the world should be saved for an entirely different thread. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I actually think that as a unit, The United States has the best goalkeeping in the world right now (I can't believe I said that! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]). They can go 3 deep, maybe 4 deep in the depth charts. And we know that 3 are world class keepers.

Maybe we'll debate that during the tourney! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Joe

PS: If I could only afford to go to Germany for 2006 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 06:32 PM

Those damn cheating Ruskies we should be there instead of them druggies. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would dearly love to watch some of the matches here. What channels (if any) will they be broadcast on in the States?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool Official Euro 2004 Website unfortunately w/ no info re: TV coverage

Ugh. I expected Fox Sports World (the greatest channel for soccer coverage in the US) would carry some games, but can't find any info.

SoccerTV.com and a couple of soccer boards say: "Setanta Sport will offer Euro 2004 via pay-per-view and closed-circuit TV in the US. The residential rate is $179 for all matches. Individual first-round matches will cost $19.95 and each match from the quarterfinal through the final will cost $24.95. DirecTV, DISH Network, and iNDemand have signed to carry residential pay-per-view."

Univision or Telemundo might be carrying some games, but this might be a case where these guys have locked up all US broadcast rights and you have to either head to a bar or shell out for PPV.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:00 PM

My pick is Spain, though as others have said, they never seem to get it done.

My team is England, and I think they actually, seriously, could do it. Really! My prediction: Michael Owen scores 80 goals in Euro 2004!