Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Re: 3 hands for review: AJo, KJo, and AQo

You've got an EP raiser and a caller.
Likely hands that could be out there with a legitimate EP raise and call: AA, KK ,QQ, JJ, AK, AQ
All of which have you dominated, drawing to 3 outs or worse, and you are out of position. Worst part is that if do catch a piece of the flop you will be trapped and have to pay off all the way to find out your that hand is second best.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 PM

Hand one is an easy fold preflop. Unless I have the table/players pegged as overaggressive, I would also fold on the turn. Once you got to the river, the pot was so large that I think you have to call one more to showdown.

Hand 2 I think was played well. Raising preflop simply helps to isolate you against hands that already have you dominated and it seems unlikely that you would have a chance at stealing the blinds here. By not 3 betting on the flop you got him to bet a worse hand for you the entire way. I don't really think you can fold to this guy no matter what he does so I think this was the best way to maximize your profit those times you are ahead.

Hand 3 I think you can fold preflop given that the raise came from EP and that you will be acting first for the entire hand. I would guess that (absent any read) a typical player will raise from EP with AA-TT, AK, AQ and then slightly less likely AJ, KQ, KJ, 99. Unless you think he plays badly postflop, or is a nutjob that will raise quite a few weak hands then I think you are better off folding. If you do think that he is raising light then 3 betting is your best option. Post flop, you can't know he has KQ and while in this case capping the flop and betting the rest of the way would be the best thing to do, considering the other hands he could have, I think betting out and just calling his raise is the better way to go. This way you will allow him to bet hands like JJ, TT, 99, KQ and possibly AK that he may have been able to fold if you take control. You also minimize your losses against AA, KK, QQ and the unlikely 8. I wouldn't worry about giving a free card as a K is the only thing that could possibly hurt you here, and that is only when he has AK or KQ.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really guys...
Fold AJ off suit preflop? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because AJo is trash when you have to call a raise with it. I'm not too fond of that third example AQo coldcalling, either. It's borderline to me, but I'd rather just muck it and save myself the bother against an EP raiser. The small blind can tempt you with its seemingly-cheap price, but being out of position against an EP raiser may wind up being expensive.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:33 PM

Wow that should save me some money in the future...thanks for the heads up...
Old 04-16-2004, 02:53 PM

Hand 1 I bet out on the flop and call the 3-bet. Rest I think is fine.

On hand 2 I would 3-bet and go from there. If capped, I go into check/call mode most likely. If called, he probably has AK or a lower pair so step on the gas unless a higher card falls.

Hand 3, I might try for a checkraise on the turn depending on reads. Otherwise I thought this was fine.