Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Tear apart my AKo play

I am a little risk-averse, especially in the few occasions that I play PP$25 tables. I feel that I have a big overlay on the players there, so I don't want to get into situations where I have a lot of money riding and only a small edge. (Note that this reasoning makes more sense in a tournament than in a ring game where you can always rebuy, but there it is.)

In my experience, in these small games a reraise all in is usually a pair, with roughly equal probability from 88 to AA, and a little less below there. If you accept this assumption, then you are dominated about 10% of the time and you are a little behind (11-to-10) the rest of the time. Typically the pot is offering a little better than 11 to 10, though it depends on the size of your initial raise and the stack sizes, but the times you are dominated are so costly you need better odds than you are getting in order to call.

On the other hand, if you have seen this play go all in preflop more than once before, he is probably doing it with lots of hands that aren't pairs. You are way ahead of all of these, and you have any Ax or Kx hand dominated, so a call is in order.

The bottom line is to know the opponent. With absolutely no knowledge, I would probably fold. (Note that "absolutely no knowledge" often means a tightish player, because I keep records on the maniacs.)