Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Re: 80-160 hand

I would....

vary my play.

I probably fold a plurality (if not majority) of the time.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:58 PM

Seems too easy, so there must be a trick ending. But I still vote for the easy anwer, fold. Just too many bad secnarios for oth the present situation and what may come on the river.

BTW, is there more pre-flop cold-calling in 80-160 than in 40-80?

Old 03-30-2004, 10:06 PM

This hand makes me squirm. On the one hand, I really really want to fold for all the excellent reasons already given here. On the other hand, I really really hate giving unknown opponents credit for a hand before I've seen them win a few showdowns. Flip a coin [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, is there more pre-flop cold-calling in 80-160 than in 40-80?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, yes, especially against steal position raises. Often times it seems to be a medium suited connector or ace. I think they don't reraise as much and call looser because reraising to get the blinds out isn't as successful when everyone is suspicious of a steal reraise (if they fold for 2 more bets, they often would have folded for 1 more bet), and they prefer to raise after they catch a piece of the flop. I'm not sure I agree with their play, but it sure can be troublesome to deal with these hands when you're out of position, which is why I tightened up my CO and CO+1 steal raising requirements a notch or two when I was playing 80 at the Commerce.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:56 PM

Default F-O-L-D n/m

Old 03-30-2004, 11:50 PM

hero's mistake was betting the turn. his hand was so vulnerable to this type of raise that a check and call would have been much more prudent.

at this point, colean is right. flip a coin. but I lean towards payng it off.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:52 AM

I'll go way out on a limb and suggest the button has the A of clubs and an 8, and is raising for a free showdown now that his hand has showdown value. So I lean toward calling, very very slightly.

Call both streets. But it's close. In real life I probably fold, but that's because I'm playing WAY over my head if I'm in this game. Especially here at Clarkmeister's right. Help! Why am I in my underwear holding my eighth-grade algebra book and a pom-pom?

JimmyV
Old 03-31-2004, 01:20 AM

Soooooooooo many folders in this thread. And some of you are thinking that calling down might be correct but you'd probably fold at the table. That makes me think some of you are often playing weak-tight post-flop

I almost always call down in these spots and easily show a profit from it. Do you guys really think top pair isn't going to win 1/6 of the time?

It's very possible I'm not 3-betting often enough in these kind of spots.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:46 AM

In my game it is a fold probably 75 percent of the time. In that game, probably not.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:51 AM

I think Snake makes a good point here about the turn. At first glance, we all tend to think we can't risk a free card here, they both just called the flop, why let them have a free shot if they have a small club or an ace or a king or pocket pair. But at these stakes, sometimes a call on the flop is more ominous than a posturing raise. Now by betting without either the Ace or King of trump, it's hard to know exactly where you stand. And the turn gets raised an awful lot at this level. Maybe risking the dreaded free river card is better than risking paying $160 for it or, worse, folding the winning hand.