Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Results (and proof that 2+2 has improved my game)

[ QUOTE ]
In the past, I probably would have just checked here. Not any more!

I bet, both folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that either you are behind or they are on busted draws, so I would rather check-call, inducing a bluff and saving a bet when behind.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:25 AM

I know this is going to sound results oriented in this case, but whe I first read this hand. I thought the check/call would be the way to go.

Get the draws or lower pairs to bluff at the pot and avoid the C/R from a 9 or bigger pair. Yes, no maybe?

You didnt collect any bets on the river, I think you can get at least one if you check call, but I may be way off base.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:49 AM

I read the hands the same as you and Trix: overcards/big pair and busted draw. I wouldn't be concerned about the second 9, though.

I think what flips this into a bet is that MP2 will call with QQ/JJ, and if the CO is calling down with AT/KT/QT you've missed bets. Neither are betting the river after the flop checkraise.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM

I think what flips this into a bet is that MP2 will call with QQ/JJ, and if the CO is calling down with AT/KT/QT you've missed bets. Neither are betting the river after the flop checkraise.

I agree those hands will call. But you C/R the flop and then get 3bet by the CO. He seems to like his hand. You are first to act on the river and if you check it looks like your overcards have not come in. I think QQ, JJ or the other hands will bet the river after you check. I also think they call if you bet, but I would hate to bet and then get raised on this river. It would be a tough laydown at this point. I would rather induce a bluff and pay one bet at the showdown to see his cards.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:56 PM

I don't think checking looks like missed overcards after checkraising AND capping the flop; I think it looks more like freezing up when the board pairs. I think 2-pair raises the turn so I'm not worried about the 9, and I certainly would not fold to a river raise here regardless.

But I'm on the fence again about inducing a bluff. A bet certainly becomes more likely with 2 opponents, but, damnit, I hate watching the river check through when I have the best hand. I would bet.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:51 PM

But you C/R the flop and then get 3bet by the CO. He seems to like his hand.

FWIW, when he did this, I put him on Axs. He figures he's going to see the river anyway, and the other players aren't going to make it cheap. Why not go ahead and bet. At least that was what I thought.

The reason I bet the river was because I wasnt sure that they would bet. And the rule of thumb for me is if I'm not sure, go ahead and bet. One of the reasons for that was some of my earlier hand posts I kept hearing the same comment...."bet the river" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I wasn't worried about the 9 on the river. If someone chased with middle pair, then I know more about how they play.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:25 PM

You're right, it is very doubtful that the 9 hurt you on the end. Because the 9 is a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], you don't have to worry about 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The only real plausable hand that a 9 helps is T9, and you were behind here anyway.

If your hand was in trouble you would have been raised on the turn. Plenty of players love to ram and jam the flop with draws, but will slow down on the turn if they don't hit, and that's exactly what it looks like here. If either one of these players had picked up a pair on the turn, or if they're holding a pocket pair they'll call.

Even though they both folded this time, betting out is the right play. It is doubtful that either one of them is going to bluff into you when you capped the flop and bet the turn, and there is another player around, too. As long as you are called by a worse hand twice as often as you are raised by a better hand, your bet is profitable. I think that's the case.