Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Any thoughts on the Bertuzzi mess?

Bertuzzi's actions were far worse than McSorely's hit, which was done to goad a fight, not with the intent to maim. This was not a punch to the back of the head, Bertuzzi had momentum, drilled Moore with a cheap shot and then drove Moore's head face first into the ice with such force that Moore's body slid forward with Bertuzzi on top of him. The real issue is not so much the punch, which was uncalled for but not unprecendented, it was the fact that Bertuzzi sought to and did drive Moore's head face first into the ice with Bertuzzi on top of Moore with the intent of smashing Moore's head into the ice. This was not just a cheap shot punch from behind.

BTW, Moore fought Matt Cooke in the first period so its not as if the Moore's actions had not gone unchallenged. And say what you will of the Moore's hit on Naslund, but that was a shoulder check that went unpenalized and about which the NHL declined to take any action after reviewing the hit. The NHL sanctioned Moore's hit as a clean check.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM

I was a hockey fan 20 years ago. But the fighting turned me off, as well as the inconsistent penalty calling(3rd period almost anything goes).

I don't understand why they don't address the figthing issue, and just stop it. No other sport has fighting as such a standard part of the game.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:59 PM

When you give people big sticks to play with, in a high-speed, high-intensity, emotional game, if you don't allow players to drop the gloves and settle differences, then you invite a lot larger problem. The stick is a tool, not a weapon.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:06 PM

The real issue is not so much the punch, which was uncalled for but not unprecendented, it was the fact that Bertuzzi sought to and did drive Moore's head face first into the ice with Bertuzzi on top of Moore with the intent of smashing Moore's head into the ice.

I saw it differently - it looked more like a tackle from behind instead of deliberately trying to break someone's face. It didn't look like Bertuzzi put his full weight on the back of Moore's head, but that's the way I saw it, and it is certainly up for debate.

BTW, Moore fought Matt Cooke in the first period so its not as if the Moore's actions had not gone unchallenged.

Anythings short of a decisive victory in favour of a Vancouver player would mean there was still, in the Canucks' eyes, a score to settle. As I'm sure Peter Worrell would feel if someone knocked Joe Sakic out for a week, then wiped the floor with Worrell.

And say what you will of the Moore's hit on Naslund, but that was a shoulder check that went unpenalized and about which the NHL declined to take any action after reviewing the hit. The NHL sanctioned Moore's hit as a clean check.

Agreed. I didn't see anything illegal in it either, but it doesn't mean the Canucks aren't going to take exception to it (nor does it mean you try to murder someone).
Old 03-10-2004, 04:09 PM

There won't be a NHL season next year, anyway

That's the truest statement of all, sadly.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There won't be a NHL season next year, anyway

That's the truest statement of all, sadly.

[/ QUOTE ]
are you guys being facetious?
I don't care much for hockey, thus I don't pay much attention to it, I was wondering if I missed something?
or are you guys implying that next years season will suck?
cuz hate to piss on your dream, but the NHL has sucked for a while.....
Old 03-10-2004, 04:17 PM

I don't buy that argument at all. All sports at major league levels are full of emotion, the NHL just allows that behavior. The thing is it can be so exciting to watch a close game where every shot on goal can be the difference.

I just think the top execs of NHL think people want to see the fighting and market it that way. It comes off as something between a sport and pro wrestling.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:27 PM

Labor mess, and unlike other sports many can and will go play in Europe. The league has 2 teams in bankruptcy and an owner like Stan Kroenke hellbent on being Hockey's verison of George Steinbrenner. They need a salary cap/fewer teams, even though it is cool when your home team (the Avs) always wins its division and can basically buy key players for the stretch run each year. The NBA even agreed to extend its collective bargaining agreement for an extra year solely because they expect to capitalize so greatly from this expected lockout.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:29 PM

All sports at major league levels are full of emotion, the NHL just allows that behavior.

How many sports allow full body contact, without stopping the game every 10 seconds to take a break and come up with a new plan?

Lacrosse and Hockey.

Fighting is an outlet. Trust me. Having been in my fair share, it is not just the NHL. It starts as soon as they allow kids to hit. Kids get kicked out of games if they fight, but the game misconducts end in Junior hockey (17-21), not the NHL.

It's a way to stand up for yourself in a physical game where hitting and bodychecking (essentially, asserting physical dominance) are legitimate defensive tools. More than anything, usually the game settles down when two guys go at it (unless there was a long time score to settle, as in the Moore/Bertuzzi case).

Truth be told, what really messed up the game was the introduction of the instigator rule (start two fights and you're out of the game). It prevented guys like Bertuzzi from protecting the superstars, and the goons began to take advantage. The little guys who couldn't hit began to use their sticks.

What really shocks me is how there could be fights in basketball. It's a penalty if you touch the guy for chrissakes!
Old 03-10-2004, 04:30 PM

wow!! I had no idea America's 4th favorite pro sport was in such disaray.
J.R. this is very interesting to say the least.
can you provide a link to a story talking about this?