Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: 30/60 and 15/30 on Party...

[ QUOTE ]
i would NOT suggest playing 3/6 and 15/30 together, or even flipping between the two. the differences for me seem too great, and i believe i would give up too much in each adjustment period. it's a great racket if you can nerve the swings (i dropped 3 grand very quickly the first night i tried), but i would suggest cutting over completely.

i've gotten pretty desensitized to playing higher limits online, but 6 tables of 15 is pretty intense. i had entertained the idea of playing 6*3/6 when i didn't feel like hazarding any stress on a particular evening, but the pots look small to me now and the difference in play is very stark.

gimme a month or so and i'll be able to provide a more believable sampling/rate. i could use less competition anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried 5/10 and 3/6 at the same time but never 15/30 and 3/6 (or if I did I don't remember), and really only thought about a few hours of one exclusively then a few hours of the other.

I never really entertained the idea of more than 4 15/30 games, although I suppose if I was as comfortable with the game as I am with 3/6 it might seem reasonable later. 3/6 is really a game I can play in my sleep, but 15/30 I really have to force myself into a particular style. I'm very impressed if you're sitting at 6 15 games at once, just thinking of the first time I sat at 3 at once gives me a rush.

I can't wait to hear some numbers. Send me a PM once you hit 25k hands or so.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it interesting that you think 3/6 is so profitable and your options are therefore 3/6 and 15/30. What about the other limits? There are 5/10 and 10/20 in there too. Others have also commented about 3/6 being very soft and therefore their favourite limit at Empire/Party.

Personally, I found 5/10 to be more profitable than 3/6 for me, even in terms of BB per hour, let along $ per hour. I think it has something to do with my style of play. Perhaps I am not adjusting ideally to the very loose games.

15/30 is fun and the big wins are fantastic. The nasty party is when those big losing nights start piling up: -$1,200 one night, -$1,000 the next, etc. It starts to make you yearn for days of less variance.

I echo some of the comments from other posters about finding the posting of win rates to be obnoxious, although, granted, it is educational at the same time. It's like speaking of salaries in real life: you are kind of interested in what the other guy makes, but everyone knows its just not polite conversation. I'm rambling now and definitely getting off topic, but this issue relates to how I always regret talking about my poker "success" (<groan&gt with friends and co-workers. It seems like a good idea, and often I do it because they ask about it. Afterwards, though, I feel a bit sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at 5/10 briefly and see almost none of the jaw-dropping bad play that's so apparent in 3/6. Also, I think 3/6 suits my style more because I can play more brain dead than is necessary in upper limits, therefore more tables, and obviously more per hour. If 7 people see a flop you can look, see if you have top pair or a draw, and if you don't pretty much move on to the next table. But if you're playing 5/10 and seeing most flops 3 way, every decision is important and it's difficult to play your A game if you aren't monitoring other players as much. I think if you're used to upper limits, it's hard for good players to come to the realization of just how ABC play should be for 3/6 and they FPS themselves to death.

I really don't enjoy playing this game anymore. I don't get excited about big wins but I feel terrible about big losses. I play tournaments for fun but the rest is mostly a grind. 3/6 is profitable and low stress. The fact that it is no longer fun really doesn't matter, compared to every other job I've ever had, I truly feel like I have the dream job and wouldn't trade it for anything. It might actually help to be mostly disinterested in a game like 3/6 because I have no interest in making some amazing semi-bluff or doing anything else extraordinary, other than bet solid hands and win the occasional pot.

I guess I've never been the type to think talking about salaries or hourly rate is out of the ordinary. For poker especially it's more than just an act of curiosity, it helps to make sure you're at a limit that's best for you and that sort of thing.

The last conversation I had about what I do for work was a friend of a friend of a friend calling me on my cell phone at midnight, totally drunk, asking what I played on Party and telling me that he thought they had cursed his account, and wanting advice. The best thing you could tell most of these people is that they probably shouldn't be playing in the first place, but instead it was easier to just say stick in there, etc.

Thanks for the response.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

I really don't enjoy playing this game anymore.

lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i felt the same about 6*3/6 too. totally stable win rate, but i don't care about it. i probably should have started with 4*15/30 just to have another 2-4 tables of it at once to look forward to in terms of amperage. oh well. i don't think it matters that much because it is 'actual poker' to me, not 'show the loose passive table the best hand'. it's not so much about the money.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think it matters that much because it is 'actual poker' to me, not 'show the loose passive table the best hand'. it's not so much about the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that making $285/hr makes it much easier for it to be about poker and the game and to not be about the money.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:39 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

I've found that making $285/hr makes it much easier for it to be about poker and the game and to not be about the money.

ok, ok. that's only over like 6,000 hands though, so who knows what my ACTUAL win rate will be? anyway i don't mean to say it doesn't matter - it does. it's just that showdown poker, especially multi-table, is more like a lab rat test pressing buttons than an actually engaging game.

my mid-term goal with all of this is to build a franchise of something like a papa john's (already researching the angles with some valuable contacts) and get back to where i don't "need" to play anymore. i make a respectable salary and i have a successful side consulting job as well, but i feel like i'm cutting my own throat if i don't play at least 15 hours per week. if i can do very well with this for a sustained period of time while we're still in this golden age of online poker (tons of fish, easy ability to buy in and cash out, no legal barriers) i'd like to use it to fund some other venture and get back to playing for fun.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:47 PM

Not a bad plan. I think I'll open a Hooters.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:59 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

i agree with writing up money made etc.......it is just plain old classless behavior in the house i was brought up in. i do not look down upon the person engaging in such activities or feel they are lieing(sometimes *snicker*) but it is something i would not partake in....okay done, go about your business
Old 03-02-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Has Mary posted lately? n/m

Old 03-02-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Has Mary posted lately? n/m

Mat Sklansky decapitated her.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Has that mattered before? n/m

Could she be the poster in this thread? Could she be 'resurrected again'?