Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2004, 03:01 AM

Default Re: I love Party

[ QUOTE ]
One of the biggest problems I've seen with new players to the game is their inablity to judge what's a winning hand in a given circumstance. Every time somebody new joins our home game they'll end up playing 2 pair or a straight like it's the nuts when their up agaist a board and bets that should scare them out of the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching the Celebrity Poker Tour Finals a few weeks back and they had one guy who was just amazing. Every time he lost he would go "Wait, didn't I win?" He had no idea what hands beat what. No concept of what a kicker was. He just bet and bet and . . . was eliminated.

I wish I could remember what his name was. Long haired guy. Lead singer for some band.

Anybody remember?

Old 02-29-2004, 03:11 AM

Yes, it was the lead singer of the lame arse christian rock band Creed, Scott something (i dont remember his last name).
Old 02-29-2004, 03:29 AM

Stapp
Old 03-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Raise preflop, call the flop. Ram and jam turn and river...
Old 03-01-2004, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really an idiot play? I might cap in this situation. Especially depending on the pre-flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, what am i missing here? He calls a raise on the flop, which he doesn't have odds for a gutshot straight draw.. Although, in his defense, he *did* have odds the first call, then got trapped into a bad call.. But still, no flush draw, nothing to fall back on.. You should be very scared when the board is paired, ESPECIALLY when there's all high cards on it!

I woulda put blindfolk on a boat, I generally dont think quads unless there's 3 on the board.. You caught him speeding! nice pot,
Old 03-01-2004, 12:28 PM

I woulda put blindfolk on a boat, I generally dont think quads unless there's 3 on the board..

I would have put blindfolk on a decent but vulnerable hand. Like AJ or Tx. Why would a boat want to scare off people who are drawing dead? Why would quads want to scare off people who are drawing dead?

Now, he's in a bit of a bind because the bet comes 2 to his right, but I would still have to just call the flop.

Blindfolk got lucky: his opponent overplayed his hand.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:56 PM

I would have put blindfolk on a decent but vulnerable hand. Like AJ or Tx. Why would a boat want to scare off people who are drawing dead? Why would quads want to scare off people who are drawing dead?

Well, u can't put him on Tx, all the T's are already present.. He bet and raised every single chance he got, it looks like he's trying to make the pot gigantic, and it's working.. Capping the turn with a straight is crazy with a paired board with ALL high cards. I guess I'm giving players too much credit..

Old 03-01-2004, 03:04 PM

You keep responding, but you're not reading what I'm typing:

If I were another player in the hand, I would have put Blindfolk on a decent but vulnerable hand. Why? Because his flop raise makes it less likely for people to call. His hand is for all intents and purposes invulnerable. His raise drives people out, and someone with an invulnerable hand generally does not want to drive people out.

But dear sweet Jesus, if I knew that blindfolk had TT, then I wouldn't put him on AJ or Tx, would I?

He should go for the overcall and raise the turn if the bettor to his right goes again. Or bet it himself.

Allowing more people to stay in would make it more likely that someone would find a hand that they liked enough to call 2 on the turn. He got lucky that he ran into a straight.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:08 PM

Your logic is very sound if you are playing against thinking players.
Most party players do not take position relative to the bettor into account when it comes to raising.
I've seen many players raise a flush draw in a 8 way pot when the bet comes directly to their right from a tight player.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:13 PM

It's not about thinking vs. unthinking players. Even if they never think about your hand, your average party player is more hesitant to call 2 than to call 1.

And if they're not considering position relative to the bettor, then blindfolk certainly should be.