Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Limit move up!

Hi Sleeper,

Good question. The first couple of sessions, I had my "A" game and did really well. Then I took some bad hits and started to tilt. This caused a chain of bad sessions. And of course, when you tilt at higher levels, your bankroll gets hits harder.

All other things being equal, IMO, the players at 9/18 are generally tougher than 6/12.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the response.... my bankroll is not yet 300 times the BB. I will try 10/20 soon.... I have also gone through stages where i lose some cash, but my mental attitude is pretty strong nowadays.... and from what I hear, at Hollywood Park, the games are still not very aggresive, maybe a few individuals.....
Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM

Hi onegymrat,

IMO, I find that the players that play 6/12 at Hollywood Park are horrible.... I would hope that the players @ 10/20 are better. I also think that there is a point where a player who is half decent is the easiest to beat, cause they play ABC poker. I am assuming that once I get to 10/20 I will be playing against bad players, ABC players (few) and a couple of players that are good (tricky/aggressive). That is why I feel that I need to play 6/12 a little longer, so that I can both increase my bankroll and make sure that what I have already seen is the norm, and not what has just occured in my 5-6 sessions.

Thanks for the input and good luck! If you know that going on tilt will hurt you, why do it? I played a hand the other day, where a flopped a set of 4's on a A104r and was beat by a guy playing 109 when the turn came 10 and river A. I was upset, but I kept my cool, and played tight aggressive afterwards.... this is one of my main improvements.... I bet out on the flop, he called, I bet out on the turn he called, and after he checked the river, I checked..... I was happy that I played the hand to the best of my ability, and that I did not lose any money after I was beat! This is what has increased my bankroll, and my confidence...

Hope that helps!

Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the support. Normally, I'm the one who does the supporting, but I think I need it this time. I've played at HP only three times, and have been up two racks each time. Of course, it's usually after busting out of the $22 tourney first! Maybe I should drive a bit more and share the wealth with you. You don't mind do you? I promise I'll stay out of your pots!

As for the HP 10/20, I hope they're as bad as the 6/12 guys for your sake! I usually play at the Bike or Commerce. Ironically, the Bike has 6/12, 8/16 AND 10/20. The 6/12 and 8/16 are generally the same players, but when the yellow chip comes into play, it's a new cast of characters. The 9/18 and 6/12 at Commerce are generally different players.

And you're right, nothing wrong with playing 6/12 longer. I mean, as long as you're winning, who cares to take on tougher competition? As for me, I just wanted more money! Good luck.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:50 PM

Come on down to Hollywood.... where the players love to donate their paychecks! They are really bad.... I don't even need to think very often [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2004, 10:02 PM

At one time? I see Rick there once in a while. Ran into David last week.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:59 AM

It's the closest cardroom to me, but I prefer The Bike or Commerce. Unfortunately, I only get to play live a few times a month....
Old 02-25-2004, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you worry about scared money. If you do what I do, you won't be scared to lose. Plus, you need to grow accustomed to losing significantly more money in the bigger games. This is perhaps the most important skill you can learn, because big losses can ignite tilting, which can further destroy a player when moving up. By taking little nibbles, you get galvanized to these things, and you will be better off

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is true. I used to get upset at my losses at 4-8, until I played 8-16 and experienced losing at that limit. I used to get upset at losing a couple of racks at 8-16, until I started playing 20-40. Now when I play 8-16, I have a lot of fun without worry. I have only played higher than 20-40 once, but I think I will take this further and take a shot at a bigger game, win or lose, it will help my 20-40 game.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:29 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

i read a couple responses, and your comments on them.

you dont have a roll for 10-20 you mentioned. so stay on 6-12, but take a shot on 10-20 at times. move up gradually if you're able. a 300+ roll for 6-12 should be enough to take this shot, though not really permanently move up.

it looks like you also havent gone through the downside of playing yet. in 4 months, with your shortterm results being 'extremely well', i doubt youve had to survive the big test of holdem. which is even though your playing great, you cant win. which can last weeks at a time. THEN you'll see just how well you're doing and where you're at in your game. the first time going through this is when you really start wondering what the hell you're thinking even playing. this is also why id wait to move up permanently. unless, of course, you have a bigger roll for it, just in case. which would be a little more than 300BB.

but by all means, if you have the extra scratch, take a shot. if anything, ive noticed when i took shots at higher limits, it improved my game even more for my normal limit.

who knows, you could be another GOT. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

b
Old 02-25-2004, 01:28 PM

10-20 at hollywood is not as weak as you think. the game only goes on Fridays and Sundays as well.
Most of the players are fairly solid except for seat 9.
i say seat 9 because he will be in that seat every week, and also 2-3 of the other regulars will be playing in their favorite seats as well. I would try the bicycle club 10-20.
There is a fairly distinct change between the 6-12 games and 10-20 or 15-30. There are always loose players, but not as many multiway pots just to name one. I would suggest playing in very short spurts such as one hour at a time until you adjust.
For further info, read my post earlier this month titlesd
How experts make correecxt decisions #2.
good luck