Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 2 bluffs...

I would have to agree with james. Bad place to raise on the first one, especially with five other people in the hand with you. Sure they all checked after you checked the flop but after giving them the free card someone definately could have hit the turn or picked up a draw. According to Sklansky it is rarely right to try to bluff more than one opponent, especially five of them. Might have worked this time but can't believe it will over the long run.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

actually S & M recommend the raise occasionally in this spot. when a blank hits the turn, and there are players in that wouldve bet if the flop hit them and didnt, it's a good spot to try it.

b
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 AM

Again I agree they didn't show much strength checking the flop but there are five people to fool.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:27 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

i could also hit a J or T on the river and be good. my bet on the turn could get out a better kicked J or T. since the turn was a relative blank, it makes the turn bet much easier.

also, as astroglide mentioned, it looks like i could be playing a monster to the turn. or missed a c/r on the flop.

curious: if you didnt know my hand, what would you put me on given my play? evidently not a bluff...

b
Old 02-24-2004, 11:34 AM

in hand one, it looks to the rest of the table like you either flopped a monster of have pocket kings or queens. As long as nobody has an ace (and they probably don't because it got checked around), you could take this pot down on the turn more than often enough to make this a profitable bet.

Hand two is riskier, but once you get that read like he doesn't have much, there's nothing wrong with acting on it. It sure looks like you called trying to make a flush, so maybe he laid it down.

All in all, I think you picked two pretty good hands to try a bluff. As Mason always likes to remind us, they don't have to fold very often to make this profitable.