Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Some extra throughts...

For those of you who have responded so far I'd like to post some additional thoughts about the hand. The game was a bit loose agressive, a lot of that was due to Bob being in the game. His style just can't be mimicked!!! He plays many more hands than most but usually plays them pretty well. Earlier in the game I had seen him raise an EP limper from about the same spot holding QT off!!! Secondly I think my coldcall was totally correct for this game. Had no one limped in before Bob raised I would have probably folded. I was actually very suprised that no one else came in behind me as well. My thoughts on the flop were if I raise now I will only be chasing out people I may want in should I hit my draw, turns out they both folded for one bet. Also should I raise that is going to SCREAM out draw to Bob. After the other two folded on the flop when he bet on the turn I felt this was a good time to "mimick" a slowplay. I tried to make it look like I had coldcalled with something like ATs which I would have called with as well in this game. I'm curious to find the opinions of some of the people that have played with Bob Morgan before on what they would have done this hand.

Bob S.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Some extra throughts...

I don’t think the turn semi-bluff raise or check-raise is as effective as it was a couple of years ago. However, you did have something credible to represent and if his raising standards are as loose as you believe them to be, then it was a good move. Of course, some players will see the flush draw and call you down with anything they can show down.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Some extra throughts...

I think that maybe bob had a better read on what you were trying to represent than you realized.

you also say two contradictory things: you wanted to call to keep the field large. BUT then felt if you raised it would "SCREAM" draw...how can both of those be correct?

against a top notch player, your raise on the flop accomplishes a lot more than it does against a normal player. aside from the normal reasons to raise, you have now SET UP a steal later on in the hand!

you could have cold called with jts in his mind and raising with it is clearly the right move. while at the same time you could be folding out an aq behind you making at least one of your outs good if you hit it.

i think once you "just called" bob twice in a row and THEN all of a suddun showed strength, he will be much more suspicious and much more likely to call you down with ak high than if you reraised preflop or raised on the flop.

just some thoughts:
questions? comments?
-Barron
Old 02-12-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Tunica 20/40...Trying to put a move on \"The Phantom\" Bob Morgan

I always make sure to play with Bob when he's in Vegas in May, mostly because I just want to see what he's wearing. To the KQ hand, for me it's a no-brainer threebet preflop against Morgan unless there's someone equally insane behind me. Then I muck.

Tommy

Old 02-13-2004, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Tunica 20/40...Trying to put a move on \"The Phantom\" Bob Morgan

Tommy, thanks for the post, finally someone who understands my dilemma. Btw, Bob was wearing his denim trench coat with the airbrush painting on the back, his leather cowboy type hat with what I believe were gator teeth around the brim to go along with his Oakley shades. I would have liked to have 3 bet but thought folding would be incorrect in this game so I guess maybe I went with the worst option and it got me in trouble. Hope your hat and cd sales saw a small increase in January as well!!!

Bob S.