Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: flop a set, fold a set

I think the play of this hand is truly awesome. However you can only do it if you know he'll never three-bet you with big two-pair on that board, this is probably the case.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM

I don't think I'm good enough to make this lay down. I just couldn't convince myself I was behind and drawing virtually dead. If he's 3-betting here with the flush possible, it's possible he has a flush (Jd-Td; Kd-Jd). He stopped betting on the flop. Why? To trap you? With what? Pocket Aces or Kings? Now a 3rd diamond comes and he still 3 bets. I'd have to at least consider that he might have Jd-Td or Kd-Jd (you said tightish, not tight) or even A-K with the Kd.

Then again there's the 3rd play all in who might have made a flush or straight and if so, and if solid does indeed have A-K, you're drawing pretty thin.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:29 PM

Does a cut-off raise still mean, in part, I want the button? Couldn't you have a flush, how can he put you on a hand?

I'd be careful about congratulating myself for making great turn folds with sets.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:35 PM

I've never folded a set in limit holdem, unless the river was brutal and multiway action indicates a 100% chance that I'm beaten, and I don't think I ever will. I don't think you should either.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:52 PM

Hi mike,
Sorry, I haven't read all the replies (your posts are popular). I don't think you should've folded, for 2 reasons:
1) A reasonable hand for this solid player is AK with the Kd.
2) You must consider your own image, which I'm guessing is a tricky, loose one. When you lead on the flop, he doesn't necessarily put you on a hand as big as a set, right? It can be an Ace with a diamond, or bottom 2 or something, no? You were there, so presumably you know these answers, and still you folded. But still, maybe that's food for thought.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:58 PM

Hey mike l.

For the same price as check-raising and folding to a three bet, you could just call and then call the river. That way you would get to see a showdown.

Given your read on the player and the turn check-raise, I think the fold is OK. Are you SURE he doesn't have AK...?

ML4L
Old 02-05-2004, 04:12 PM

The hands that could beat you are AA, KK, QQ, JT. With AA or KK, he likely would have capped the flop. With QQ or JT he would not have raised on the flop. A possible hand is KJd or KTd with an aggressive raise on the turn planning to have you check the river. Between the possibilities of AK, KJd, or KTd, I would have trouble folding the set in that large of a pot. Of course it's easier to see the possible hands on Monday morning, and you had your instincts at the time.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:18 PM

For that price what was one more bet? Could you have put "solid" on big slick? Nice post though. . . compelling hand
Old 02-05-2004, 04:44 PM

imo, mike should go back to 40-80... he is over thinking ... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

kenny
Old 02-05-2004, 05:02 PM

1 bet to fill up on the river, i know it might not be good if his set is better but this pot is huge cost you 32 more to finish this hand. If he has flush then you have to call, i'm guessing he has a pat hand and your boat is a live draw, he must put you on a straight or a flush when you check/raise, or a set and he 3-bets, so he almost certainly beats a set, which means your draw to fill up is live. I don't understand how you folded for 1 more bet as a 3-1 dog