Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: OTAY.. HERE IS A SIMPLE 3RD STREET HAND...

I don't think a "straightforward" player is going to be raising early with split Sixes. You're probably looking at a pocket pair bigger than Eights. If it's Aces, you're in trouble. You might have a 41% chance of making Kings-up or better (I don't know what it is), but that does not translate to a 41% chance of winning.

I like re-raising better if your opponent is the sort who can be run off of a hand. Since he's raised coming in, he's probably got a good enough hand to call you down with. I'd also like it better if I could count on seeing some free cards on later streets. If I re-raise on third, bet on fourth, and it goes check-check on both fifth and sixth, well, that's OK. I play against a lot of people who will play like that. If opponent is likely to bet on fifth (I knew Andy was full of it), I would prefer not to have gotten involved.

There is nothing more satisfying than raising with a small pocket pair and a big door card, and then spiking your set on fourth street.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:03 PM

Well, it depends. I play 5-10 live and 1-2 online with lots of players who will complete in hopes of stealing and then go passive if you raise back.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:01 PM

If a guy is stealing from early position with a Six in the door, he isn't loose-passive.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:28 AM

Default RESULTS....

Hi,

Well I re-raised to $10. Got one cold-caller with a 5 in his door behind me. The original raiser made it $15( which told me exactly what I needed to know ). I called the $15 and so did the other player.

I caught an 8 on 4th. Was still high on board. I Checkraised. Original raiser made it 3 bets, which I of course capped. ( other caller called )

5th street was interesting. Everyone caught apparant rags. I bet and cold-caller RAISED me with with a board of 5-4-2. Original raiser just went all-in for $30 which I called, and cold-caller raiser capped it at $40.

On 6th..all-in player(original raiser) caught a 4 that gave him open fours and became high. I checked. Cold-caller bet and I called.

River I didn't improve. I check-called cold-caller raiser who bet. I beat his trip deuces and got a small sidepot. Unfortunately original raiser caugt an Ace on the river that gave him his aces full. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

CJ
Old 02-03-2004, 09:48 AM

i reraise here almost everytime i dont fold, but almost never call. it really depends on the player, the majority of 5-10 players i have played against are either very loose or very tight with their raising requirements, but that is basically foxwoods and AC.

pat
Old 02-03-2004, 02:20 PM

Raise. With diamonds, 8's and Kings all live and no Aces out, you can win this here on 3rd, or with continued betting on 4th and/or 5th, with or without improvement.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:30 PM

How often do you see someone complete on third street and then fold for one more bet?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:02 PM

boy, the cold caller sure liked his deuces. Oh, wait, he had a three card gutshot draw to a wheel to go with it. Outstandingly played by him.

Sorry it cost you money, but flip the cards over on sixth and you like your chances.

The 16th is on at FW, hope the games and my cards are as good as last time.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:30 AM

Not that often, true, but it does happen. Playing 5/10 at Party, I see a **LOT** of people bringing it in for the full bet with a pair and no kicker (for instance, pair of sixes with a 3 kicker).

I assumed the OP meant that the 6 brought it in for the full bet, but even if that was incorrect, I would still raise.

Doc.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:12 PM

this hand is a good example of why you should not assume 7CSFAP type play from most low limit players. sometimes it is impossible to know why they do what they do, but they thats what brings in the money.taking advantage of this by loosening up is probably the most important adjustment to make to increase the hourly rate at this limit. it is also contrary to most advice on 5-10 games, which is to play tightly because of the structure.

Good luck at FW. wish i could be there but i havent played in a few months (new baby). not sure if i should use a smile emoticon here or a frown!

Pat