Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Would you mention poker in a job interview?

I think you can surely make playing poker sound positive. First, say something like "I enjoy playing cards - Pinochle, Euchre, Poker...." Gauge their reaction, if they seem interested say something about how you are dedicated to your hobby, that you read books about it to become better and that you've seen consistent improvement over the years that you've been playing.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:11 AM

I look at it like this, you have worked toward this degree for a reason, you don't need to mention to poker in an interview, too many people will find it questionable, you're just giving them a reason not to hire you in my opinion.

Your education will get you the job, focus on that.

Also, find some practice interviews online so you know what questions you can expect, it also doesn't hurt to know a little bit about non-verbal communication.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:57 PM

I'd mention it. I'm a sales guy with good reference as to prior success. If they believe I can bust quota they won't give a rat's a$$ what I do in my spare time.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:12 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Nice post Mason. Nice to see that somebody has some good sense left. Mentionning poker to strangers is social suicide.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:59 PM

Interesting question yes, But for what my opinion is worth, I would mention it without hesitation.

I am going to try to respond without offending anyone. I can see my opinion is different than most.

IMHO, The question really is about honesty. If you think being dishonest about yourself will help you get a job, and you can live with that, then keep it quiet.

It makes me wonder, though, how far do we go? Do I tell him I like to ski if I see a picture of a skier on the wall? Do I not tell him about the time I was arrested for DWI when I was 17? Because it will help me get a job? Where does it become deception? Do I embellish my resume, because it will help me get a job?

Perhaps my opinion on such matters is different because I live in Alaska, and people up here tend to be quicker to accept you for what you are, and from what I have seen, more honest in general.

The only personal experience I have is;
I spent 2 years (until may of this year) working as a programmer/analyst for a large Telco company up here. After I had been gone for several months (Nov this year) the Director of prod. Service from this Telco company called me up and asked me if I would be willing to come do some contract work. I said I would be available, as I was just playing poker to pay the bills until I found something more permanent, he immediately offered me a job.

I have mentioned it to several people here, all with the same results, I seem to be looked at with a little envy, even some saying things like “I wish I win playing poker” People tell me of their experiences gambling, and ask me what kind of stakes do I play, all sorts of questions. People seem genuinely interested.

In short, I do not hide any part of myself from anyone, and If you will not hire me because I play poker for money, then I don’t want the job.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:28 PM

The question really is about honesty.

There is a difference between lying and not revealing the whole truth.

Do I tell him I like to ski if I see a picture of a skier on the wall?

That depends... do you know enough about skiing to make it sound convincing?

Do I not tell him about the time I was arrested for DWI when I was 17?

Are you joking? Or on crack or something?

Where does it become deception?

Look, you're not expected to say every single thing about you. Is it deception if you don't tell him the colour of your wallpaper? Perhaps it's deception if you forget to reveal that you love to eat cheese? You're being ridiculous - at an interview you're expected to try to emphasise the positive aspects of your personality.

In short, I do not hide any part of myself from anyone

OK then. Please tell me, on these public forums, how many times a day you... well you get the idea. You clearly do hide things from people, and to say that you don't is a lie, therefore you are (paradoxically) hiding the fact that you do indeed hide things from people, rendering your original assertion false.

If you will not hire me because I play poker for money, then I don’t want the job.

That's fine - there are 25 other people out in the hall way who would like the job. If you don't want the job, you're welcome not to have it.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:19 PM

I'm a futures trader, and the reason why I got a job offer for the position was in part due to the fact that I mentioned that I'm a successful poker player. There are a lot of distinct parallels between trading and poker, so in my case it was certinaly worth bringing up in the interview. If you can find some relevance for it in your job, it's definitely a positive thing as long as your interviewer seems open minded. I mentioned the poker thing in an interview with another trading company and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for anyone that doesn't understand it or thinks it's just gambling.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:24 PM

Ok, I think it comes down to this, I hear many people complain that gamblers are not viewed as upstanding people, somehow a cut lower than the rest. How do we expect that to change if our only advice is "hide the fact that you play poker"

I am not saying tell people you gamble just for the sake of telling them, just don't hide it for the sake of hiding it.

I do not mean any offence to anyone, I just think it only hurts ourselves to be secretive about it.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:56 PM

I am not saying tell people you gamble just for the sake of telling them, just don't hide it for the sake of hiding it.

Agreed. And socially, I will not hide my poker playing, if it comes up in conversation. But you have to make the distinction between hiding it for the sake of hiding it and hiding it for the sake of getting a job.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:02 PM

I've been interviewed for jobs at least 15 times, and I have never been asked about my hobbies. Ever.

Regards,

T