Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: how did tom mcevoy ever win the world series?

I have re-read the article and I understand your point now, crockpot. McEvoy clearly states that he believes the reader was correct to assume the raiser had a big pair. If this is the read, then there is a very good case for throwing the sixes in the muck. My take on this is different though. I believe this may be one of the times where math should be thrown out the window. It is impossible to KNOW that the raiser has a big pair and this, coupled with the fact that you'll almost certainly double through if you flop a set and he has a big pair, makes the call correct even if you read the raiser as having that big pair.

Although this is my stance, I see how you can fault McEvoy for the way he wrote the article. This sounds as if it's coming from a fairly small buy-in tourney (hence the large blinds compared to stack size) and it has been my experience that in these tourneys a mini-raise is more likely to indicate weakness than strength. So, McEvoy was clearly wrong to say that the reader was correct to assume that the raiser had a big pair. This is thinking coming from a player who plays mostly large tournaments with very aggresive and tricky players.

I believe that McEvoy's only mistake here was not putting into context the nature of the tourney and situation.

Peace

Goodie