Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 06:37 PM

Default Button not in hand, only cutoff - tried to edit but couldn\'t it time

Sorry for the bad post, it was after a long poker session and I guess I was typing tired.

The button was not in play. It should have said cutoff was semi-loose aggressive who played and raised too many hands/draws.

As well there was no raise raise pre-flop so it was only another $5 in the SB for me to call with this hand.

Sorry for the typo.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Re: 10-20 SB hand..i think i played this wrong

[ QUOTE ]
UTG (textbook player preflop)....limps

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
UTG shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which textbook do you perceive he is reading?

Also, I wouldn't call him weak-passive if he bets draws as well. He may be weak, but that is not a very passive play.

Anyway, you have to check-raise the flop here and try to take it down right there or on the turn. Even if someone has a T you have a ton of outs. Anyway, hands like this and others will be easier to play if you don't plug your opponents into stereotypes that they do not fit. Your assessments of UTG in your original post were all inconsistent with this hand... Be very careful to put your opponents on a certain playing style unless you have observed many showdowns in which they were a participant.
-James
Old 12-20-2003, 10:42 PM

Preflop, whatever, take it or leave it (I would almost always call unless I thought the BB might raise). On the flop, I would only be interested in one thing: getting as much of my opponents' money as possible into the pot. Towards that end, I would usually bet out and hope for a 3-bet/cap opportunity. The flop check raise could work okay here too, as it might get you heads up against a guy with a much worse hand (since your flush redraws will cancel some of his outs), but I would prefer to be playing multiway for lots of bets since the pot started out pretty small and you have a lot of equity on any more money going into the center.

The turn seems like a great check raise opportunity after you only smoothcall the flop (and setting this play up might even be a good reason to play the flop the way you did): you're in position to blow out UTG by facing him with 2 bets (which should almost always work unless he has an ace, given your description of him), there's a decent chance you are beating the CO if he's as aggressive as you say, and you have plenty of redraws even if CO does have you beat. For the same reasons (minus the redraws, of course), you might want to try a check raise on the river, as mike l. pointed out. The key here is that you should always be looking for spots to use your relative position to your advantage, and next to act after the primary aggressor is a great place to be in with weak hands that might have him beat.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be very careful to put your opponents on a certain playing style unless you have observed many showdowns in which they were a participant.

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

James, I did not ask for you opinion on how I observe my opponents. I just asked for how you thought I should have played this hand.

Yes I observed many showdowns with this UTG player and yes he is weak passive. NO he does not bet on draws or anything even if he hits hard for that matter. He once checked called his KK down to the river after raising preflop when the flop came 2-5-9 all offsuit. I also saw him raise with with AJ suited in EP once and limp with many small mid size pairs given the action preflop with or without a raise. So up until this point he was a textbook player, but obviously when he showed down AQ suited UTG that changed my mind. But I didn't know that till I saw his AQ now did I? Please pay attention to my post before you go making assumptions and observations that you are unaware of.