Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Poutine? Still in the back of colon, for a year.

As my daddy used to suggest, there is very little in life that cannot be forgotten if you simply go "Get a good bottle of booze and good hooker too"
Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Routine? Still in the back of head, for a week.

hi JT
the thinking here is that with these type players......well first you need to understand why a good strong solid does better than the calling station predictable. and it's not because you can out-play them! you will never out-play this opponent. invariably he will almost always out-play you, or at best you will always show a slight loss against this opponent when going toe to toe. your only advantage against this type opponent, and it is an enormous advantage, is simply that if he bets, you can safely fold 100 percent of the time unless you hold a strong hand. and even then, you will only likely break even. after this opponent checks though, you can safely bet into him strongly with a huge advantage. he will almost always call. the simple technique is simply giving him an opportunity to tell you what he has by simply checking once to him. yes, you may miss a bet, but he's so predictable that the info you gleen from your check into him more than off-sets the bet that you missed.
and don't worry about his drawing out on you. he would have drawn out anyway. if the flush or straight completes and you bet into him after he has checked down the turn, he won't raise without the nuts and will call with anything. so if the board horrifies on you, your top pair best kicker or two pair will still collect one bet. if he raises of course, you can now fold.

each separate type of opponent has some area that you can have an advantage over. what you need to do is understand where your advantage lies and to proceed accordingly. against a weak-tight, you might bet into him strongly to get the fold but check the river if he would check down many hands that beat yours but wouldn't call without a stronger hand, unless he would fold some of the hands that beat yours.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His hand sure screams weak ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was sure it did on the flop but when I picked up outs on the turn, I just naturally bet again for that small fraction that it didn't. I think check/calling the turn would have made my river fold butter.

Thanks andy,
Joe Tall
Old 12-05-2003, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you will never out-play this opponent. invariably he will almost always out-play you

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason why the hand bugged me. Being one of the few hands he failed to 'flash' when heads up, he left me wondering.

[ QUOTE ]
each separate type of opponent has some area that you can have an advantage over. what you need to do is understand where your advantage lies and to proceed accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

My transition to Mid-High Stakes is going to highly depend on my ability to make such adjustments. A lifetime of poker experience has helped, yet, I still need to be aware of who/what I'm going to be dealing with.

I know it's been said, but welcome back, elysium, and thank you.

Peace,
JT