Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Interesting Aces Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm next. What now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Re: What I Did

i would have raised.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:12 PM

I disagree with those suggesting a smooth call. The pot is already decent, 5 big bets. You shouldn't want to wait until the turn to build the pot. You want those draws to fold now, and the best way to get them to do that is by raising the flop.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:08 PM

With ten bets in the pot, by all means raise on the flop and make it two bets for anyone else to draw. If someone reraises then they likely have a ten. Your fold is certainly questionable, and I certainly hope that you didn't show your cards. In hold'em it's a lot easier to miss a flop than to hit it, and with two tens out, there are only two left. You have two aces which cuts down on the possibilites of AT. If someone has a KQ draw, then you hold two of their straight cards.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:42 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Good discipline I say! Congrats, pro move all the way! 8)

[/ QUOTE ]
it was a terrible fold. when are people going to learn that pros don't make their money on dumb folds?
Old 12-02-2003, 02:31 AM

If I was in the big blind in the given situation, the only hands I'd bet out on the flop with are those that contained a jack (or AA-QQ assuming that I had one of those hands and didn't three-bet BTF). If I had a huge draw I'd check-raise the flop. If I had a ten, I'd definitely wait until later to get my licks in because I can count on the maniac to always bet or raise for me.

Of course, maybe the BB doesn't think or play the same way I do. Maybe he's just betting his hand and you only have two outs, but I just wanted to show you how it's very possible that he doesn't have a ten.

So, as you can tell, I think folding is horrible. I'm not totally sold on raising, though. I think it's close between raising the flop and waiting to see the turn card to determine how to better play the hand. What I'd really like most is to see what everybody else is going to do (ah, the downfalls of early position). Then if a card like the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the turn and the BB bets out, you can raise. However, a card like the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] coming off will make you wish you didn't raise. This is not really the type of board that players would call for one bet but not two. If they're gonna call on the flop, they're gonna call. Also, you don't want the maniac to fold in the very likely event that you do have the best hand.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:21 PM

Sometimes when I have AA and the backdoor flush draw I’ll wait to the turn to raise. Also, when a pair comes on the flop and I have AA, I’m usually not afraid of giving a free card, because now someone with a pair can’t make two pair to beat me. However, with this hand, the pot is pretty big and there are other possible weak draws that I’d like to see fold. I’d probably raise on the flop. Besides, the BB most likely has a J and is hoping you’ll raise to protect his hand. It would be neighborly to oblige him.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:41 PM

Woo, dude that’s out there. Maybe you’re happy because, as it turned out, you would’ve lost the hand. There’s guys out there that play J2 and win a big pot, so they keep playing J2 and lose a lot of money. I think if you keep folding AA for one bet, on flops like that one, you will too.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Five of us see a flop of
JcTcTh (note the two clubs)

[/ QUOTE ]

I did notice the clubs, that why I say "Ugh" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If you didn't have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], it's a better fold. But you've got the Ace of trump - even if someone hits the flush on the turn, you've still got 11 outs against them on the river...

PS If he was a true maniac, why didn't you limp-reraise preflop?
Old 12-02-2003, 04:05 PM

With the table you described, I think this is a definitely limp-reraise preflop. You said the maniac 3-bets with just about any 2, so he'd probably raise with any 2 as well. And since the others are all trying to get the maniac's money, you'll definitely get some loose cold-calls, or loose 3-bet isolation attempts. I don't like the open-raise. Limp.

GoT