Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Re: 22 in the BB

Against a single opponent, I don't think you're playing a small pair for set value. It just won't happen all that often.

Very aggressive opponents will pay you off with worse hands.

Very passive opponents are easy to read and will lay down often enough to a flop/turn bet/checkraise to make the play profitable. They also won't punish you enough when they have better hands.

That being said, I'd hate to bring 22 to a HU fight with a very agressive player who has position. If I had to call here, I think my gameplan would be to check-call the guy all the way to the river and hope he keeps betting his missed overcards.

Doug
Old 12-01-2003, 12:38 PM

If you had decided to call him down even if he should raise your turnbet, why not just checkcall him down all the way?
If he is aggressive and doesnt respect you at all he probably would not care if you call the flop and he held AQ, AJ, A10 or something like this. I think he would bet again and maybe check down the river in that case.

Sehr Gut
Old 12-01-2003, 12:44 PM

If you need a set (less than 1:7 on the flop) to continue then DON'T PLAY IT against 1 opponent.

If you bet into a passive player and get action you can easily fold, otherwise you win the pot.

Your 22 is favorite over any non-pair (even AK). Your hand is probably a favorite against an extreme aggressive player who will pay you off.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:45 PM

I'll let others elaborate.

Hahaha. YES! David, you made my day.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:08 PM

Default Calling with deuces from the BB

I usually fold 22 from the BB against a single raiser in the 15-30 game at the Bellagio. I made an exception a couple of days ago because I thought I had good control over my opponent.

Open-raise from tight, predictable player. Folded to me in the BB with 22 and I call. Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check and she checks. Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet and she calls. River is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet and she calls. Treys up good! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The problem with deuces is when you play against an opponent against whom it is difficult to tell whether the raiser has a pair or overcards. At that point, you are usually a big underdog or a moderate favorite in a small pot and out of position.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:24 PM

In this situation, I check-call all the way against the disrespectful LAG. I make this decision before I call his preflop raise, regardless of what cards hit the board (unless I improve).

-MJS
Old 12-01-2003, 04:45 PM

i'd probably check called the turn and river. but i like ur opponent's play for some reason. it's quite powerful and unconventional. i am a big fan of taking some risk for some reward. i know it sounds strange, maybe even stupid. but this feels very much like the Farha move on WSOP 2003...

Kenny
Old 12-01-2003, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a very aggressive player you have an excellent chance of collecting multiple bets when you hit your set.

[/ QUOTE ]
no. against a very aggressive player, he will bet flop and turn (sometimes river) with just over cards. since he is more likely to have over cards (non-paired) than he is to have over pair than yours, and with over cards he is going to miss more than he hits, you can some times play passively and get paid because he will bet for you. you can sometimes check-call to river, or check-call, check-call and bet river.

[ QUOTE ]
Against a very passive player it may be cheap enough to hit your set or bet him out of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

against a VERY passive player, it's almost profitable to play anything for 3.5:1 odds.

Kenny

so, where do i find these full-of-exploitable-mistakes-players?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not folding the 13th best heads up hand while getting 3.666666666:1

[/ QUOTE ]
in fact, you should point out that 22 is the 13th nuts on 2nd street [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2003, 05:00 PM

3 betting is best against HYPER-aggressive trash player, IMO. but i would also consider that as one of the options in your situation.