Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: He Called Me A Fish...

That play (the KQo fold) is too tight even at a ten handed table, unless the CO is very tight even in a steal position. These players are very rare.

-MD
Old 11-19-2003, 01:46 PM

I post too often after coming home for the night, usually with 1-5 Guiness in my belly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would almost always re-raise as well, given that it was 4-handed. But I would sooner fold than call in this situation.

[added thought after I posted this reply] On the other hand, given that the game was particularly tough, I'd probably fold more often than usual. Don't ask me how often, I have no idea. More often than folding I'd raise, and I'd call once in a blue moon.

-Diplomat
Old 11-20-2003, 02:53 AM

Folding is nowhere near as good as calling. Anytime i here these kind of claims where calling is the "worst" of the three options they are almost always wrong.

You'd be better off calling and raising the flop regardless than folding, IMO
Old 11-20-2003, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want my opponents to consider me fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont agree with that. Shorthanded I want that people think of me as a WCP. Let them fear me and let me be in control. IMO that adds tremendous to your EV. If they arent fearing me, then I hope they see me as someone who bluffs too much, opening up a lot of thin value bets.

IMO about the worst image you can have shorthanded is that of a weak fish. You will get played with and you dont want that. But maybe I'm talking about the higher limits, which arent too loose pre and postflop. Things might change if the game is incredibly loose both pre and postflop.

I think Tommy's Hierachy of Fear is very important shorthanded, and you might want to search for that post.

Regards
Old 11-20-2003, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shorthanded I want that people think of me as a WCP. Let them fear me and let me be in control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it surely depends on your opponents, but I rather have them underestimate my powers, than the opposite. If the consider me as WCP they will try and play their very A-Game to beat me. If they think I'm easy to beat, possibility that they loose up too much (play too many hands for example) is much greater. However, I think there are two sides and shorthanded it may be more advantageous if you are feared, as more dough comes from stealing blinds and as there are way more heads-up situations.

Cheers

Doc
Old 11-20-2003, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the consider me as WCP they will try and play their very A-Game to beat me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I notice in the high stakes online games (up to 100/200) is that people who I think fear me just go out of my way rather trying to squeeze little edges (although they might be giving up some +EV situations). This adds significantly to my profit.

I do exactly the same thing against players who I fear. I don't want to get involved with them too much and just focus on my weaker opposition. This is because it's so freaking difficult to make the right decisions against opponents you fear. Shorthanded, it's so easy to turn a +EV situation into a big minus one, if you're unsure what the right action is. So, I take the prudent way and pass up the small edges. Might be a symbiotic thing; he profits by me giving up small EV edges, and I profit by preventing myself from making bigger mistakes.

IMO, the player at the top in the hierachy only strengthens himself by projecting that image. People will pass up more edges and will become more predictable.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think there are two sides and shorthanded it may be more advantageous if you are feared, as more dough comes from stealing blinds and as there are way more heads-up situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and therefore my point might be more applicable to higher limit games.

Regards