Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2003, 05:11 PM

Default witnessing at the table?!

i have a best friend who is a christian (i am too). at the 9-18 at commerce he befriended a guy who was a very miserable (at the moment) gambling addict. the guy was really down and out and sad about his compulsive ways. my friend, later in the session (surely after taking plenty of the guys chips), went to his car and brought the guy aside and gave him one of the bibles he carries around in his car (he gives them out to beggers along with taco bell gift certificates) and told him that this is what he needs to get him through his problem. the guy took it and was grateful.

Old 11-09-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: witnessing at the table?!

Did he give the guy any Taco Bell gift certificates?
Old 11-09-2003, 05:57 PM

Default Re: witnessing at the table?!

Hi Mike:

This is one of the most deceptive claims of people who want to spread the word. The fact is, that no matter what the religion, new recruits, or people who are down and out and who feel helped by someone in a religious way, are grateful. If only Christianity could make this claim then your statement would have the implication that you are implying.

It use to be that you could go to the airport and see a bunch of strange looking people selling flowers. Most of these people would tell you that if it wasn't for this new religion that they had found their lives wuld be an abomination. Similar claims are made by virtually every religion.

By the way, with this being said, if the gambling addict that you mention above is able to change his ways then that's great.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 11-09-2003, 06:12 PM

Default Taco Supremes

I too would like to have some taco bell gift certificates. Please arrange for me to have some counseling regarding my compulsive and degenerate ways. I might not stop being agnostic, but I will definitely order some taco supremes and maybe a couple of bean burritos.

al
Old 11-09-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Inappropriate Remarks at the Poker Table

He could've been referring to Ferguson. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2003, 06:45 PM

Ummmm, who cares?

If a player had sneezed, and the Offendor had said "God bless you," should the atheists at the table file a class action lawsuit for emotional damages?

Truth is, when someone makes an inane comment (which is exactly what I consider the comment you describe), I sneer at them and tell them to go to hell.

Maybe this is why nobody ever invites me over for Christmas, Hannukah, or Kwaanza dinner.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:58 PM

Babe,

I live in the south and have to deal with this crap all of the time. I know where you're coming from, a poker table isn't the place for Jesus comments.

I have a bumper sticker that says "Jesus Loves My Drinking"
Old 11-09-2003, 08:35 PM

I dunno... I expect to meet all sorts at the poker table (I know you do too) and as one simple comment, it doesn't seem so out of line to me. Much more tolerable than the people who are salesmen and try to sell me their crap. Or more tolerable than the poker geniuses who tell me that my chips are "easy money."

Obviously he targets a fairly non-receptive audience when he chooses to make a religious statement in a gaming atmosphere, but so it goes. I don't personally find it offensive or inappropriate.

Old 11-09-2003, 09:00 PM

Seriously...who gives a flip? Its not like he said, "Jesus loves you unless you are part of a heathen faith, in which case you shall burn for all eternity as you deserve". Worrying about stuff like this is a major problem with our society today.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:38 PM

Babe's problem definitely struck me as over-the-top politically correctness.