Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 02:35 AM

Default Re: A hand

I saw a hand once that was talked about a lot after it happened. It was pot-limit one-card hold'em with an optional replacement of your hole card after the river (and no, I am not making this up) where one guy had an ace and flopped quads, up against a guy with a queen. On the flop, the guy with four aces bet right out. The guy with a queen raised, then came a reraise, and the queen put it allin. Turn and river were small cards. The guy with the queen did not replace his queen even though he could have. He said he put his opponent on a real hand, namely, a king, or an outright double-raise allin bluff. Now and then I miss Ohio.

Tommy
Old 10-22-2003, 09:45 AM

I dunno I guess the preflop call is somewhat debatable. Its an automatic call for me with a hand like 54s, I don't see much difference in 64s. There was zero chance this character UTG would limp reraise here by the way.

I think checkraising the turn is the worst thing I can do. Even the most clueless will fold for 2 cold to them on the turn here and there's no chance against this particular EP opponent that he raises me any more with an overpair. Sure he'll pay me off but I almost certainly miss out on UTG's contributions. If UTG folded on the turn I would have checkraised the river.

As I said this wasn't a very good game with the exception of UTG. You may be overestimating the overall fishiness here based on the past few weeks during the tournaments. I think Andy B's advice of avoiding this game for a while is spot on.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:22 AM

like other people said, I think leading on the turn is better, because "good" players will be suspicious of your checkcall, bet the river in this spot.

what do you think about leading, then if you get raised going for the checkraise on the river, otherwise just leading the river?

--paul
Old 10-22-2003, 11:01 AM

"I guess the preflop call is somewhat debatable."

No its not.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:53 PM

VEHN: I guess the preflop call is somewhat debatable.

CLARK: No its not.

ME: I agree. :-)
Old 10-22-2003, 01:37 PM

I think the coolest thing about turning or rivering quads..well, besides turning or rivering quads...is that all the people who were really worried about you having trips now think you are full of crap.

Bet the turn.

-Diplomat
Old 10-22-2003, 01:41 PM

Did this really happen? I wish I can improve from a full house to quads. Why not check-raise the turn? Other than that, I have no suggestions on how to play quads. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2003, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
VEHN: I guess the preflop call is somewhat debatable.

CLARK: No its not.

ME: I agree. :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. You agree the decision is clear. But do you guys agree on the decision?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:30 PM

Good question. I actually saw tommy's response and was thinking, "Tommy would really call this?!? Has he had an epiphany and changed his blind play?" I feel a little less lost now.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:12 PM

"OK. You [and Clarkmeister] agree the decision is clear. But do you guys agree on the decision?"

We agree that calling a raise with 6-4 is good. Where we differ is, good for whom? He thinks it's a good idea if everyone does it, and I think it's a GREAT idea if everyone but me does it.

::: sniggle :::