Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2003, 03:52 AM

Default Re: I\'ve Asked Before, But Now I\'m Begging... (NLHE)

ML4L,

This situation depends on what your opponent thinks you have and possibly what you think he will call your preflop raise with. Most players will not bluff you on the river unless they have seen you make laydowns.

Good Luck

Mark

Old 10-19-2003, 11:37 AM

Default Results and Comments

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the responses. The result is that, after some thinking, I folded. I was very tempted to call because the seven was such an innocuous card that I felt like he had been on spades and just wanted to take a stab at the pot. But, he very easily could have had 9s8s or a hand like 76. I still can't make up my mind whether I think it was a good fold or not, but at least the overwhelming sentiment here is that it was...

I've made a number of posts before about situations such as this one (i.e. playing AK after the flop for big bets), and I don't feel as though I'm getting much better at it. But, maybe it just takes more playing/studying...

Thanks again.

ML4L
Old 10-19-2003, 11:41 AM

Hey Jay,

Actually, seeing your post reminded me that one of the Ciaffone quizzes describes a hand nearly identical to this one. In that situation, he gave 10 points to folding and 0 points to calling, which makes me feel better about my fold on the end here... Thanks for jogging my memory about that part of the book.

ML4L
Old 10-20-2003, 07:07 AM

No problem, the hand was very similar. I thought he gave 7 to calling though. Didn't check the book.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:52 AM

I think you should call him down. He probably wouldn't call your opening bet with a drawing hand with two players in (though the CO then folds) which says to me he had to have something worthwhile preflop, could have been a middle/smallish pocket pair, but I believe it's one of four hands, AA, KK, AK, AQ. I'm almost certain he had AK.