Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 AM

Default Excellent response

Fossilman,

Excellent response however some posters want to get spoon fed.

Old 10-14-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Excellent response

Of Course! I did not want to get in to any theoretical discussion, I just wanted a pure list of hands I can play in every situation. I would also like a list of hands I can play heads up...32o ok to play? Then please I would like to be spoonfed a list of hands I can play in the BB that have been 3 bet when I have a big stack in a NL tourney, then the same list in a limit tourney. FEED ME, FEED ME!!!!

Maybe if you hop off your high horse for a sec you may see that my question is a very practical question that most people run into. I was hoping for some lively discussion on the idea of loosening up as you get closer to being put all in. I can accept the fact that there may be no answer, and even Fossil admits his answer was generic...and it was. He also says the best play is usually obvious, I dissagree...when you have to decide to either call off half your chips or move all in with a marginal hand like K9o that sure does not seem like an easy decision for what is best play. Most of the players I have played against in a tourney are total strangers, so to get some great lock on their play is pretty difficult, and add that to the fact that probably half of the players are pretty inexperienced NLHE tourney players...so who knows what they are going to do?? I would say at least 1/4 of the players busted out near the bubble of a tourney have missplayed their hands by either moving all in too early with a marginal hand or just sitting there waiting for aces to come and they end up forced to play 72o in the BB. So were they too tight or too lose? I dont know, thats why I asked.

If there is absolutely no answer please tell me, but I am getting the sense that people are actually afraid to answer this for fear of getting ridiculed...at least Fossil tried (thank you Fossil). Telling me to learn what hands play well through a hot and cold simulation & that I cant see the forest through the trees is quite condescending...Do you have any thoughts on the question? or just going to jab?

In my personal opinion I would think you have to lower your standards gradually as you begin to get under about 30 hands you can play, maybe I am cracked in the head. But if there are antes, every hand is hurting more and more, and the big stacks are taking nearly every blind without a fight, you cannot wait for a great hand. And every hand you wait is another ante down the drain. I would also be tempted (if I was lucky enough to get them) to slowplay AA, KK and maybe even AK to gamble and hope I could maybe triple up instead of moving all in and just grab the blinds and antes without a fight. Higher suited connectors down to about 6 or 7 might begin to interest me too along with any 2 face high cards...but here I am not sure. Why do you think I asked the question?

Spoods
Old 10-14-2003, 09:16 AM

Default Re: NLHE Tournament - Lowering hand requirements as blinds go up?

When I am in this situation I look for all or nothing hands. Pairs, Aces, those types of hands. When I get one I push and hope I steal at least one set of blinds so I can ride for free. If I do have a successful steal I tend to go back in to tighty mode and wait for something big..then I push again.