Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2003, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Favorite card games other then poker?

[ QUOTE ]
I used to play a great game called back alley bridge in the service. It was a cut-throat bridge game for 3 or 4 players. It consisted of deals or 13, 12, 11...1 cards. It had the interesting feature of making the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] the highest trump. The trump suit was determined by turning up the top card of the stub and everybody bid the number of tricks they would take. Really excellent game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we played that game in the Army as well Mack. I'm trying to remember what name we used. I plum forgot about that one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seems like we went down from 13 cards to one and then all the way back up to 13 cards per player again to determine the winner.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:11 AM

Default E. European Games

Nope. Sounds fun. Any rules online?

Ever play Doo-Ra (phonetic English)? Or as we used to say "Dude Rock". Its Russian; my friend who lived in Moscow taught it to me and others. Good hanging out at the pub playing cards game. No winner, just one big loser.

I also recently learned a Czech game, the name of which I forget. 13 cards per player. All cards are ranked, Twos are the highest, 2 spades being the best, 3 diamonds (?) the worst. First player lays anyhing from a 5 card poker hand to a single card, other players must play a higher hand of same combination until no one else can beat it (you can pass, but not re-enter after doing so). Last player to play on the combo starts a new one. First one out of cards wins. You know it?

KJS
Old 09-29-2003, 09:22 AM

PITCH!!!!
and Spades
Old 09-30-2003, 04:23 AM

Seems like we went down from 13 cards to one and then all the way back up to 13 cards per player again to determine the winner.

It's been a while, but I think that's right. You go down to one card, play one card twice, then back up to 13. All the bridge players liked this game when they couldn't find four for bridge.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:39 AM

Default Gin players: Coon Can

This thread has really brought back memories. A cool game that, as far as I know, is only played in Texas and Mexico is Coon Can (Conquien in Mexico). Much like gin with a different strategic spin. Played with the Mexican deck - no 8's, 9's, 10's- each player gets ten cards and the top card of the stock is turned over. To pick up a card you must meld it or pass. If both players reject a card then a new one is turned over. To win you must meld eleven cards; no knocks. You can pick up cards from your melds to use in other melds if doing so leaves a legal meld. You can force your opponent to pick up a card if it fits one of his melds-this can screw him [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] . Good game, plays fast and teaches defensive discarding.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: E. European Games

That game you describe sounds like BIG 2 a game popular in Japan I believe.

The 2's are the top card in each suite, the only rule I don't understand is the first cards laid down have some restrictions, I have an old freeware version and I could never figure out what the requirement is for sure, but I lost track of it and have played it in years, very tricky game!

-t
Old 10-09-2003, 02:57 AM

You are right about the name; it is "Big 2" in English.

I seem to remember that the person with the lowest card (3 of whatever suit is lowest) goes first. I don't remember if they had to use that 3 or not. If I had to guess I would say they didn't because I remember many games starting with 5 card hands, which would be rare if you were forced to play a certain card.

KJS
Old 10-09-2003, 03:15 AM

My favorites:

Pinochle
Cribbage
Spite and Malice
Spades
Old 10-11-2003, 12:47 AM

That might be why I was confused with starting card ability.
I remember trying to play trips as a starter hand and it refusing to let me, but then I saw other computer players do it.
It was a very hard game to win but still a blast to try, I think there is a freeware version for PALM OS also.

-t
Old 10-14-2003, 05:25 PM

Pinochle (double-deck)
Canasta (though, I'm pretty sure we play a bastardized version of the game)