Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2003, 08:16 PM

Default results

I did indeed checkraise the river, my opponent called, and slammed his pocket 6s down in disgust and stormed off in a tilty rage. This wasn't really a "fair" hand to post as I was pretty sure where I was on all streets. He hesitantly called my flop bet in the "not sure if I should fold or call" way, not the "call or raise" way. I put him on a hand like A5 or a medium pocket pair.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Re: $30/$60 hand for Andy B.

nice read.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Re: $30/$60 hand for Andy B.

I don't think your bet on the flop was bad. Your turn bet, however, wasn't smart.

I would fold to a raise here.

Check and call the river.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:33 PM

Default Re: results

If you were pretty sure where you were on the turn, shouldn't you have laid it down?

Even if you were beat by two small pair--say 6c5c, I am not sure you had odds to call.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:37 PM

Even if you were beat by two small pair--say 6c5c, I am not sure you had odds to call.

He has frush draw... no folding here.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Calling the turn raise is a must...

Several of you suggested that Chris should fold to the turn raise. Folding to the turn raise is a big mistake, and you should be able to figure out why.

The river checkraise is brilliant... this was a very well-played hand.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:20 PM

Would you bet that eight high flush into the raiser on the river too?
Old 07-27-2003, 09:20 PM

Default I disagree

I don't agree w/ most of the posters that a flush draw will raise heads-up enough of the time to make the turn call automatic. Against many players, you're drawing dead there. Against many others, you're drawing to two outs.

Many good mid-limit opponents (which presumably this player recognizes Vehn as) are not going to let you get away with a free card raise. What is Vehn most likely to be betting out with here? A King. If his opponent has a flush draw, he knows if Vehn has a decent King (which he does if he has a King and called a raise) he'll probably 3-bet him on the flop. For that reason, if I'm him in LP with JdTd, I'm probably going to flat-call Vehn's bet. Now, I may well raise a miss on the turn, but that's a whole different tangent. A lot of players may also cold-call a raise in LP w/ something like KhQd and flat-call the flop, planning to raise the turn.

Clark puts the opponent on either a small set or a big King. OK, if it's a big King, why so confident it doesn't go with a big diamond?

As the hand went down, would you fold to a river 3-bet? Or call down to see the flush?

Would you still recommend a river checkraise if a diamond hits? Or bet out? In either case, what if raised/re-raised?

I think too much of the turn and river recommendations here are predicated on the assumption that this opponent will raise the flop heads-up w/ a flush draw a vast majority of the time. While many do, I'm not sure that it's enough to make calling the turn and putting multiple bets in on the river a winning proposition.

I think there's enough of a chance that the opponent has either a made flush or a King w/ a diamond that folding the turn might be better. And I definitely disagree that calling is a "must" or folding is a "big mistake."
Old 07-27-2003, 09:25 PM

Would you bet that eight high flush into the raiser on the river too?

Yes. You probably have the best hand, and your opponent is likely to call.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Re: I disagree

Yes, occasionally your read is wrong and you are drawing dead. But you are getting 8-1 on your turn call. Often, you will have 10 outs, sometimes you will have the best hand, and sometimes you will be drawing dead (or to two outs against a bigger pair and bigger diamond).

The point is that Chris says he had a solid read. His opponent hesitated before he called the flop. Then he raises the turn. The 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] improved his hand. How? Either because his opponent has the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].. maybe A6, or the 6 gave him two pair or a set. His read clearly says that, if behind, he has plenty of outs.

Against an opponent who would only raise the turn with a flush, obviously you then fold to the turn raise. But given his read, the appropriate action is clear, IMO.