Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2003, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Overthinking yourself out of the pot.

There is more to being a winning player than just knowing why this hand was played badly. Nobody needed to tell ArchAngel71857 that he botched this hand. The tone of his own post made it clear he had figured that out himself.

However, there was a bigger problem I saw which has shown up in many others' posts. That need to be pointed out rather than be ignored. People seem to think they have a huge advantage over opponents who limp in with K4o, J8o, and Q5s. They think they're going to clean up against these opponents based on starting hand selection alone. But, they won't.

If you don't combine a good starting hand selection with good post-flop skills, you've got very little chance to be a winning player yourself and no chance to "sleep on a big pile of cash". ArchAngel was fooling himself.

Telling him "JJ is going to be good there 80% of the time" is not nearly as useful as driving my point home.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:42 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default i agree

ive been seeing this in many posts too. 'man, look at those fish and how lucky they are...just wait, i'll get it back' blah blah.

i also hear this from newer players in the cardroom who try and act like they really know what theyre doing but dont. especially the wannabe-'rounders' guys. before one talks a little smack, they oughtta make sure their games are on solid ground. i had a buddy who thought it'd be fun to go to the cardroom and take the 'fish'. my internal thought was, 'uh, bud, you are the fish'. then he proceeds to go and fold an openended str8 on the flop to one bet. yeah, he really had it over his opponents.(this may or may not pertain to the original poster. it is a general statement based on what ive seen in other threads and in games both online and live. no offense is meant. but i find it kind of humorous to hear/read at the tables)

i think it's fine to state stuff like that to less serious buds/players, theyre not going to call you on it the way you will be called on it here. on this forum, every flaw is under scrutiny. including thinking you may be better than you actually are. sometimes you have to fall down to earth before you can really advance your game.

i dont think dyno's response was that harsh. (and believe me, ive seen him post harsh stuff before that i didnt agree with) i think it should help the poster think about his game a little deeper if he doesnt take it as a personal attack.

b
Old 07-25-2003, 01:09 PM

There is such a thing as brutal honesty, and in the posts of Dynasty's that I've read--I've seen a lot of brutal honesty. He's direct, to the point, and blunt, and sometimes that can be a bit painful to the original poster. Can you look at his post and say it's not true though? I don't see a lack of constructive criticism in the post, I see Dynasty suggesting Arch needs to clean up post flop play before he can consistently win at the game.

Funny thing is, Arch knows how the hand was played poorly. The subject says it all.

T
Old 07-25-2003, 02:36 PM

J.k.

don't worry about it. I appreciate the defense, but Dynasty pointed out something that was eluding me. These people did out play me. But now that i know my greatest enemy is myself, I am better prepared to play against people like that. A lot of posts have dealt with overestimating your opponenents, and this was my first expierience with such. Dynasty's response while cruel, hurtful, humiliating, sarcastic, cynical, cold, rude, mean, not nice, ugly, blunt, brutal, insulting, condescending, and down right assholish was still full of value and good advice. I mean honestly, do i get any better when i read anything by Sklansky? I'll leave to others to contemplate and discuss.

Seriously, I was grateful to be put in my place by a winning player such as Dynasty, who is beautfiul, smart, intelligent, right, and smells nice too. While I do agree that sometimes more people spend more time insulting play than actually analyzing play and giving advice, i don't really give two $#!&$. I got the information i wanted. if he wanted to talk about my mother in the process, then fine. But thanks for sticking up for me. Its always nice ot have a friend when the school yard bully makes fun of my Kangaroo shoes, which were so cool by the way because they had a pouch in the tongue, where i put pennies. Shows you!

Regards,
AA
Old 07-25-2003, 05:06 PM

Default you guys need thicker skin

I understand that most everyone on this forum worships the ground you walk on, but is that reason to be such an ass? I thought most people here worshipped Tommy Angelo and Andy Fox. I don't know if Dynasty has any worshippers.

Dynasty's response while cruel, hurtful, humiliating, sarcastic, cynical, cold, rude, mean, not nice, ugly, blunt, brutal, insulting, condescending, and down right assholish was still full of value and good advice.

What did he write to offend you, that you misplayed a hand and would continue to misplay it until you learned to play postflop better? Personally I would send him a pm and thank him for the insight.

Its ironic, I often hear players in low limit games say they can't wait to play in the higher limits because they will beat those games because the games will have better players in them. If a player can't beat a lower limit game, why does he or she think that he or she can beat a higher limit game?

Don't take any of this personal. Growth hurts. So does the truth sometimes. Read the message and pay less attention to the words.

Michael

Old 07-25-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Re: you guys need thicker skin

What did he write to offend you, that you misplayed a hand and would continue to misplay it until you learned to play postflop better?

It was pretty clear to me that AA was joking when he wrote this. I'm sure he initially took offense to it, but from the tone of his post, I think he's honestly thankful for what Dynasty wrote. Overall, I think AA's reply was hilarious.

Don't take any of this personal. Growth hurts. So does the truth sometimes. Read the message and pay less attention to the words.

I agree completely.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Re: you guys need thicker skin

What did he write to offend you, that you misplayed a hand and would continue to misplay it until you learned to play postflop better? Personally I would send him a pm and thank him for the insight.

Nothing. it was a joke between me, j.k., and dynasty, but thanks for the advice. say, did i misplay the flop?

Its ironic, I often hear players in low limit games say they can't wait to play in the higher limits because they will beat those games because the games will have better players in them. If a player can't beat a lower limit game, why does he or she think that he or she can beat a higher limit game?

Is this in response to something i wrote, or was it a related topic?

I dont take any of this personal, i thought i was trying to explain that in my last post. If i let my emotions get involved in getting berated, then i won't do a very good job of keeping them under control at the table, like say when someone beats my K high SF with a royal and then pours sugar in my gas tank. if i can't be passive with that, then i will lose so much money.

-AA