Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Turn cap with top set on straightboard.

[ QUOTE ]
I seldom raise 66 here, I might if I feel CO and SB are bad players. I always raise 88. Should I extend that range in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i for one would not want to play it in a raised pot oop. my standard hand there is also 88.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:32 AM

just read a couple responses and if he leads the river you should just call (obviously if you didnt fill.) raising is bad there.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any merits in raising preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

raising pf here is bad. you are killing your implied odds where your equity isnt that good.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:51 AM

Before tonight, I'd have capped and bet the river too, and cursed the poker gods at dealing my opponent a straight. After counting combinations though, if you think he has to have at least 2 pair to 3-bet the tuin, then you should just call and only raise the river if you fill. Amazing.

-Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before tonight, I'd have capped and bet the river too, and cursed the poker gods at dealing my opponent a straight. After counting combinations though, if you think he has to have at least 2 pair to 3-bet the tuin, then you should just call and only raise the river if you fill. Amazing.

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting--care to show us lazy people the math? I'm surprised that there are more possible straights than two pair hands he could have, which is what the case would be if you're saying call, don't raise. Right?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Don't forget hero has two of the remaining 6's.. that kills lots of two pair combos.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting--care to show us lazy people the math? I'm surprised that there are more possible straights than two pair hands he could have, which is what the case would be if you're saying call, don't raise. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible Two Pair Hands:

54 = 9 combos
J5 = 9 combos
J4 = 9 combos
65 = 3 combos
64 = 3 combos
J6 = 3 combos

Two pair combos = 36 two-pair combos

Sets we beat:

55 = 3 combos
44 = 3 combos

Sets we beat = 6 combos

Sets we lose to:

JJ = 3 combos

So, before running the straight combos, we are ahead of 42 combos and behind 3.

Straights:

23 = 16 combos
37 = 16 combos
78 = 16 combos

Straights = 48 combos.

Without any weighting of various hands, we're behind 51 combos and ahead of 42 combos. It's pretty close because we'd probably almost entirely discount JJ (no-pre-flop raise) and some of the straight combos (particularly 37 and probably most of the 23 combos), as well as some of the two-pair combos, though (the Jx hands particularly). StellarWind made the same point above without laying out the combos. I'm pretty sure I'd cap this turn when playing; a closer analysis makes that less clear, but doesn't rule it out as the correct play depending on how one estimates the weighting.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:26 PM

I think the most of us will cap this turn without thinking to much about it, because its one of those 'If he flopped the straight so be it' situations, even though it might not feel to good against a pretty tight villain. What happened is that he checked to me on the river, I bet, he calls, and he turns over 55. I looked at the hand afterwards and started wondering if I should wait and see if I get my house on the river before raising, and it seems to me that this is correct in this specific situation. Thanks everybody for your posts.