Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: How to play sets (new here and to limit)

on the second hand, most definitly bet for value on the river, especially with all those checks acting in front of you. The only way I can invision you losing that last hand is if someone checked with QQ because they are deathly afraid of the A10 straight possibility. You're sure to get the top pair and two pair's to call with such a huge pot, maximize your profits here.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:00 PM

The limping 66 UTG used to be so right. However, games HAVE tighetened up in the past year.

Woah woah woah. The day that folding 66 UTG in a .5/1 game becomes correct is the day that I quit this game. Greg, are you telling me that I should start taking up darts? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OP: The 1st hand can hardly be classified as "there was nothing I could do". Going four on the turn and river just can't be correct against all but the most reckless of players. When he caps the turn, you have to decide between check/calling the river or check/raising the river. Check/calling is the best play against most people in this spot.

I don't really mind your flop/turn line in this hand, but the best bet for a newer player would be to check/raise the flop. The check/call-bet play works best when you start mixing up your game more. If you are going to do it with strong hadns like sets, you have to be willing to do it with draws and one pair hands as well.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:03 PM

Hand 1:

I'd bet the flop.

Experience suggests that on the turn, you are not going to get capped by an overpair. That suggests that he will show you JJ or QQ most of the time. So, just check-call the river.

Hand 2:
Sometimes you will get check-raised on the river. I'd risk it.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Over all I'm still struggling as to when to 3-bet and cap hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are 95% sure you have the best hand. There comes a time in most hands (turn or river) when the board works together in ways to complete straights/flushes - this is the point where matched-card hands (pairs, two-pairs, sets) no longer merit 3-bets and caps. If the board hasn't yet reached that point, then continue jamming with your sets. Of course there's the occational time when you actually made a straight/flush/boat and can cap the betting with dangerous boards that help you.