Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: AKo, any better alternatives?

Quote:
call raise, check turn or lead turn weak... i really dont think AQ can pay off as played, only a set...
very good point, and I think clearly better on a three suit flop. Does the fact that there are two clubs on the board make my line any better?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:02 AM

To me, they are contradictory because if I raise in MP and a solid player re-raises from early position, I'm not likely to just call with a hand like JJ-AQ. Maybe he makes this call with a PP trying to hit a set, but this also doesn't seem like a reasonable line for a tight player in this situation.

If he does have a set on the flop, he has to worried about AA, since that is obviously in your hand range. I don't make that min-raise and I certinaly don't call your all-in. However, if you say that he is generally tight but has played a number of hands against you, then that changes things.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, they are contradictory because if I raise in MP and a solid player re-raises from early position, I'm not likely to just call with a hand like JJ-AQ. Maybe he makes this call with a PP trying to hit a set, but this also doesn't seem like a reasonable line for a tight player in this situation.

If he does have a set on the flop, he has to worried about AA, since that is obviously in your hand range. I don't make that min-raise and I certinaly don't call your all-in. However, if you say that he is generally tight but has played a number of hands against you, then that changes things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those previous statements are not contradictory at all, open up your game.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those previous statements are not contradictory at all, open up your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 10 NL game plays a little different than the 2000 NL
Old 12-12-2005, 01:09 PM

You gotta play it this way. You are winning most of the time here... you reraised preflop and hit an ace. If he's lucky enough to have 666 then so be it, a fair % of the time you're facing AQ / AJ.

I think it is very unlikely for villian to be on a draw here though so maybe I'd stop n go all in.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:09 PM

Right.

I still don't know if it's appropriate for me to comment on these kinds of hands. I understand that I'm often missing fundemental points, but I hope my posts are intelligently reasoned and aren't just babble. I imagine that I'm not providing a lot of useful material for high stakes players but I am getting all kinds of great stuff from you guys that rarely gets discussed in the SSNL forums.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:14 PM

I think the two tone flop does make a difference - I'm not sure if villian falls into this category, but some people go crazy on the two tone flop, convincing themselves that the other person is just bluffing the flush. This may sound weird, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he turned over KK or QQ with a club. How's the read?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM

if i raise pf in LP and am repopped by a tight player in the blinds, I am calling w AA-KK the majority of the time. along with alot of other hands like PP's, and suited connectors if the stacks are adequate.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:35 PM

unfortunately, villain folded to my all-in.

I would guess I pushed him off a worse ace, pocket pair, or flush draw. but with all of those hands its still good odds my best chance to get money in "good" was on the flop.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:37 PM

yeah, i think i like the call and get it in on the turn best.

esp. with the Ac.