Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Learning SH play a prereq for advancing to 2/4 and beyond?

To make this clear...

I think due the horrible rake at 1/2 PP, 19/13 style is optimal. This means you significantly cut the # of hands you play. Of course it's good to play against 3-4 donks postflop, but it doesn't help learning how to play 'real SH' postflop (it's generally HU by the turn).

I'm still at 19-20% VPIP at 3/6 and struggle to add more hands although I know I should play at least 22%.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont bother with 1/2 full ring, get 500BB for .5/1 and jump straight into that 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

to clarify, once I have 500BB for .5/1 I should then move to 1/2 6 max? or just play .5/1 6max for a while longer?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dont bother with 1/2 full ring, get 500BB for .5/1 and jump straight into that 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

to clarify, once I have 500BB for .5/1 I should then move to 1/2 6 max? or just play .5/1 6max for a while longer?

[/ QUOTE ]

.5/1 - You can put work in to win some here for say 5 - 10k(That goes faster at 6max) then move to 1/2.

its nice to be over bankrolled, and 6max is VERY SWINGY.

ROY - I'm not a believer in "OPTIMAL" stats, Of course you can raise a tad more and bet a bit more to improve your game but i think advice such as "Play more hands, raise more" if to often applied incorrectly and leads the player into difficult situations and losing habits.

Not to say you dont need to raise your VPIP and whatever else, but i'm not a believer in "optimal" stats to fit everyone. Think this is WRONG.

RustyCJ, Incase you think 500BB is alot. My Bankroll is around $2000 and i'm playing 1/2(having just moved up yesturday).

Good luck,
I love 6max and i felt clueless and wondered if i'd be able to adapt. Early days to know if i can beat it yet, But im enjoying it.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:38 PM

to answer one of the OP's original question....if you can learn to beat 6-max that will definitely help your game...but it's hardly necessary to beat low limits like 2/4 and 3/6 full-ring.
There are plenty of successful 2/4 and 3/6 full-ring players who have never played 6-max.

If we're talking about learning to beat full-ring online 10/20, 15/30 and higher then I would say that learning to beat 6-max is a good idea.

But there are other reasons that 6-max is a good idea to learn too....the 6-max games at 5/10 are much better at 6-max than they are at full-ring (for the most part) and it's where the action seems to be these days.

So...if you want to become the best player you can be, then learn 6-max.
But you don't have to have it just for 2/4 or 3/6 full-ring.

Fairly interesting article by Ed Miller in this mth's 2+2 internet-magazine (upper left corner) that the original-poster may be interested to look at.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think due the horrible rake at 1/2 PP, 19/13 style is optimal

[/ QUOTE ]

you underestimate exactly how bad the play is there

that is way too tight
Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 PM

I began playing online poker @ .5-1 about two years ago. I have been successful all the way through 5-10 full and I absolutly suck at six max(thats probably overdoing it--I would say I'm a very very very small winner/break even--I've only logged about 40k hands total of 6max poker). This is mostly due to not putting enough time into learning proper adjustments for 6max. I just cant find the groove for 4-6 players for some reason. That said I have played quite a bit of heads up and 3-handed and feel this helped me more than anything in reading hands and improving my blind play which becomes very important when games get tighter.