Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Check my actions

[ QUOTE ]
if the flop was rainbow you can make a valid argument for checking it through

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!
Old 12-10-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop needs to be bet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't this cause a fold and thus I lose more action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rarely, sure. Usually a flop bet will generate MORE action, especially in 6 max games (though I'm not well versed in the 1/2 texture, but I'm sure some of this still applies). For one, this is a draw heavy board. Even 4 handed, a lot of hands hit this board one way or the other. So the free card sucks.

Also, a flop check followed by a turn raise SCREAMS monster, whereas a flop bet is expected no matter what's actually in your hand. So people will come along with any piece of the board. Some players will check raise any pair, some will c'r there JT hands. Now you have the option of 3-betting or calling or popping the turn.

Those types of scenarios happen way more than a bet and two folds, and it's almost impossible to make up the missed bets on the flop (and potentially on the big streets) due to any increased action on the big streets due ot the slowplay. Usually if you get a ton of action after checking the flop and popping the turn and you hold two pair, you're in trouble.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:05 AM

For now, you need to just give up slowplaying entirely. There is a time and a place for it, but you are doing it way too often, in completely the wrong places. Bet the flop. Free cards are bad. There is a flush draw out there, a possible straight draw, and people could easily have pairs. Hopefully someone can raise you, and you will be able to 3-bet the flop.

At least the rest of the hand is good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Spicymoose