Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Is any one tight agressive and a long term winner?

All these things are very noticeable even on 25 and 50nl, just moreso on 100. Nice post
Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

True TAGs are not nut peddlers or rocks which are should be referred to as weak-tight players. TAGs have to play well post-flop because that's where they need to properly use their aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche! you and your damn semantics [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. But really you're saying the same thing, preflop tightness is not enough
Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: There is no "gut" to winning poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. Poker intuition, "gut", is crucial in the area of handreading. Not sure if that's what you or the OP are talking about...but when I say 'my gut says I'm good here' I'm saying...

I can't adequately put it into words, but based upon my experience, my experience with Villian, the previous x number of orbits at this table and how things have been running, and that hand I played 2 weeks ago with villian, my 'gut' says make the all-in call because my hand is goot. Intuition = gut, IMO.

Advanced thought for a select few: Intuition is in man's spirit, the mind is part of the soul, hence there's a translation problem trying to put what you intuitively know into words.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

True TAGs are not nut peddlers or rocks which are should be referred to as weak-tight players. TAGs have to play well post-flop because that's where they need to properly use their aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche! you and your damn semantics [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. But really you're saying the same thing, preflop tightness is not enough

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew what you meant [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], but I know that plenty of people on this board think playing TAG is nut peddling and that's just wrong. TAG is generally recognized as the optimal style of play up to the highest levels. Being able to adapt to different styles and shift gears is necessary, but most pros still employ a TAG strategy as their baseline.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:33 PM

Gut feelings are definetly something I'm looking to follow as much as possible in poker, aslong as you don't think the gut feeling is what you think ABOUT the gut feeling, I advice it to any other poker player aswell, as they are pretty much always right for me
Old 12-09-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are obsessed with changing gears. I remember your other post and you were obsessed then too. Trust me when I say at small stakes you dont need to change gears as often as you think. And when I change gears I have a reason too, I dont do it just because the clocks says it is time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is addressed to me, you are only partially correct. I tend to think a weaktight player is playing back when I'm being LAG, and most cases I have realized that this type of play is not warranted.

However, when I open my raising range pre or post flop when I've been playing TAG it's with due reason. This is because for instace over the last 3 or 4 hands I've played, a thinking lag behind me has called my flop bet when small cards flop and raised every time I've checked the turn.
This has me realize that I've been playing too tight and continue betting too much. Simple solution; change gears. Raise more SC's or check more flops, or make a flop bet and checkraise the turn with a good hand. That doesn't mean play lag, just that he's picked up the "mechanical" play I've been following.

Another example, a near maniac (only difference was he had some logic to his play, and would recognize what different player playing back meant and fold accordingly) was behind me at my table last nihgt. I was playing very tight. He'd rase from anywhere to a minraise to $20 bucks. I raise his button nce with a decent hand, he pumps it to 20, I fold. I do it again JJ, he pumps it up and I push. He folds and no longer reraised me preflop for the next hour of the session. He was calling all my raises and firing at large bets at small flops, check folding big ones. I raise PF with 45s (He calls instead of raises me now). He fires 20 in a $15 pot, I've paired my 5. I call and bet 1/2 pot when he checks the turn. He folds, I show and he curses at me. Next time he calls down when I do the same with AA.

As for being small stakes, I'm at 6max 100NL, so pretty soon it won't be small stakes and even now, I feel people pay more attention than this forum gives credit for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope this was to the OP. I remember his other posts. He is obsessed with changing gears. Sorry to waste your time, should have made it clear.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:22 PM

When your talking about your profit from this greatest of games, it is better to rise slowly in relation to your stakes, making a lot in a little time means exactly the opposite is going to happen in the long run.

The better part of the education of a poker player lies in learning to get all the value out of your hands. "Nut peddling" is an easy form of poker, but as it's monoker implies you get NO value from marginal holdings. Playing real poker at lower levels, for me, can only be done by playing a disciplined TA style. Matusow is an example of a guy who can play super aggro, looser poker, and look at his level. THIS IS NO ACCIDENT, but sub-par players making big short term gains more or less is.

hope this helps bro

Cambraceres
Old 12-09-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me the game is 80% mechanical. And yes I am a real winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

And doggonit people like me!
Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are obsessed with changing gears. I remember your other post and you were obsessed then too. Trust me when I say at small stakes you dont need to change gears as often as you think. And when I change gears I have a reason too, I dont do it just because the clocks says it is time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is addressed to me, you are only partially correct. I tend to think a weaktight player is playing back when I'm being LAG, and most cases I have realized that this type of play is not warranted.

However, when I open my raising range pre or post flop when I've been playing TAG it's with due reason. This is because for instace over the last 3 or 4 hands I've played, a thinking lag behind me has called my flop bet when small cards flop and raised every time I've checked the turn.
This has me realize that I've been playing too tight and continue betting too much. Simple solution; change gears. Raise more SC's or check more flops, or make a flop bet and checkraise the turn with a good hand. That doesn't mean play lag, just that he's picked up the "mechanical" play I've been following.

Another example, a near maniac (only difference was he had some logic to his play, and would recognize what different player playing back meant and fold accordingly) was behind me at my table last nihgt. I was playing very tight. He'd rase from anywhere to a minraise to $20 bucks. I raise his button nce with a decent hand, he pumps it to 20, I fold. I do it again JJ, he pumps it up and I push. He folds and no longer reraised me preflop for the next hour of the session. He was calling all my raises and firing at large bets at small flops, check folding big ones. I raise PF with 45s (He calls instead of raises me now). He fires 20 in a $15 pot, I've paired my 5. I call and bet 1/2 pot when he checks the turn. He folds, I show and he curses at me. Next time he calls down when I do the same with AA.

As for being small stakes, I'm at 6max 100NL, so pretty soon it won't be small stakes and even now, I feel people pay more attention than this forum gives credit for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope this was to the OP. I remember his other posts. He is obsessed with changing gears. Sorry to waste your time, should have made it clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

No waste, you got me to analyze what I was doing. Thats what I think this forums is best for.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 PM

What he said