Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Crying call on river or muck it?

Thanks for the help guys! I called the river raise based off of a strange play he made earlier in the session. He check called all the way to the river and then check raised on the river with a missed draw. I was hoping he was on AK and hoping his 2 pair would hold up. I called and he turned over Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I tried to have no problems and I laughed it off (while my whole face was twitching), went for a walk upstairs, and chain-smoked 6 cigarettes while I cooled off.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 PM

What to do on the river is truly read specific. However, if he is an unknown (no read was given in OP), I'm not folding.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:09 PM

I would check/call this river. With TPTK and below I would check/fold. Hard to see anyone but a maniac betting anything that doesn't have you beat.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:31 PM

I would probably c/r the flop also. I want to protect a little bit against the gutshots, but I really see the case for betting out too. It looks really good.

On this river, I'm c/cing most of the time. If I bet, it's gotta be a b/f.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:26 PM

I like betting the flop here and hope to get raised. This flop probably hit a lot of people and they will all pay you off.
I'd probably call the river unless I had a good read on the player.
It's better to call 1BB and lose then fold and get shown a bluff. That would take you 12 cigarettes to calm down.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:31 PM

horrible advice.

you have a set on the flop. meaning you have outs against a flush draw. a flush draw that may not be out there. further, if you play it passive on the flop, and the preflop/flop aggressor keeps betting, someone may semi-bluff raise the turn, or flat out bluff raise such a scare card, and you end up having to put a bunch of bets in on the turn, not knowing where you stand, and being just as unsure on the river.

further, your sentence "the scare card came on the turn so you've got to think that you're beat" is the foremost example of weak-tight thinking i could ever think of and it has no place on this board. or in your mouth. or anywhere, really, except at the homes of all the fish you're supposed to be taking money from.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:32 PM

it's not horrible, but i don't think you win this pot when you call this raise often enough to make it profitable. absent a read that he's, say, a terrible lag.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM

i don't think villain played it that terribly.

i agree with the preflop raise if he thinks he can buy the button.

he bet the flop and will thin the field and get a free card sometimes. he 3-bets for that free card (alright, that's bad), doesn't get it, has the easiest call ever in a monster pot, has an easier call on the turn, has an easy raise on the river.