Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: JTo in LP

I dont like preflop raise.

Sneakychicken
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 AM

I like the preflop raise. I would be glad to be heads up in position against the limper. But you've got to be able to play smart postflop.

I don't like the raise after the flop donk. I'd play it like a drawing hand because the flop came down in a way that's good for lots of UTG+1-type limping hands. What are you trying to accomplish with the raise?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:27 AM

Preflop is probably a bit loose but I been doing this often lately (mostly with hands like ATo and KJo). The plan is to win the pot with a flop bet or I'm out (unless I have a hand of course).

On the flop I'm trying to protect my hand and get the BB out.

On the turn I'm folding to raise.

On the river I chickened out a little bit and the guy showed AKo and MHIG.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:46 AM

A raise may get the BB to fold a guthot draw or a better jack and will probably allow you to take a free card off on the turn if you think you are drawing.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is probably a bit loose but I been doing this often lately (mostly with hands like ATo and KJo). The plan is to win the pot with a flop bet or I'm out (unless I have a hand of course).

On the flop I'm trying to protect my hand and get the BB out.

On the turn I'm folding to raise.

On the river I chickened out a little bit and the guy showed AKo and MHIG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given his preflop action, I think you're beaten by KJ or Q10s a lot here so I think the check behind was good.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 AM

I don't like the flop raise.

1. You have middle pair with a weak kicker, GS and BDFD. This hand likely hit the UTG limp/donker better than it did you.

2. If you're ahead, he'll bet your hand on the turn for you anyway. If behind, I think on this coordinated flop, you are WAAAY more likely to be 3bet or check raised, than you are to get a free card on the turn.

3. The other thing about this hand is an overcard on the turn IMPROVES your hand way more often than it hurts you. Ace gives you the double gutter and the K the OESD. Folding out the occasional unpaired overcard or GS hand from BB, will likely take more money than it adds in this smallish pot and in the longrun.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:53 AM

Grunch:

I think the pfr is a bit aggressive, but not overly so.

The flop raise sets a tone of strength, but I'm folding to a 3 bet here.

You have to bet the turn, now they are thinking Q? Once again, I'm folding a re-raise.

Riv - I think I also check the club. He won't lay down a better hand, and I'm guessing he was on a flush draw or AK/AT?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:08 AM

Grunch

Preflop - no way am I raising this, maybe limp in but not raise

Flop - Yeah I like the raise, though I like it because I don't think I'm ahead, but will get a cheap look at the Tun and River

Turn - Call me weak, kick the cat etc etc, but I would have taken the free card and saw the flop for free, I dont think I am ahead of much at the moment.

River - Check it through

****though since he only called on the turn, I reckon I am looking at him having a pair of QQJJ with a better kicker.

Guys is this far to weak?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM

** Grunch **

Preflop raise is questionable, unless you had some kind of read on the blinds and knew you had a good chance of isolating the single limper.

Flop raise is good. Might win the pot right there, fold to a re-raise.

Turn, I would consider taking a free river here.

But since you bet the turn, I would bet the river here when it was checked to me. With two Clubs on the flop, your flop raise, and the Club river scare card -- you will often get a better hand to lay down thinking you were chasing and hit a flush - I can't see a better hand checking the river to you - so bet, you probably have the best hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 PM

we can't fold to a raise, we have a gutshot