Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WCOOP Event #4 ($200+$15 PLHE 6-max, Wednesday 9/7, 3PM EST)
>2000 10 45.45%
1500-2000 0 0%
1000-1400 7 31.82%
<1000 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: 6-Max Preflop Hand Selection

the post said to have no reads :P
Old 12-06-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the post said to have no reads :P

[/ QUOTE ]

With no reads I don't even play A9s UTG.

But for the record, I think playing without reads is generally a bad idea. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM

Generally the tables are too loose and you get too many callers on your raises. You want to isolate with 1010 or JJ. If you get 2 or 3 callers and an overcard on the flop, how are you feeling about the hand?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, gonna head to the FAQ and read through that now.

Thing is though, even knowing that I still think the play is wrong since I said UTG, meaning you will face a raise a fair amount of the time and your position postflop isn't that great. But I folded 77 today to raise that was about 3% of my stack, which I wouldn't have done knowing this info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Facing a raise isn't bad if it meets the 5/10 rule. Multiway is even better. Plus you can dump that crappy pp if you miss the flop as opposed to when your Axs catches a flush draw...........All my pp from 22-AA are winners for me over the 75k hands I hand logged in Pokertracker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is the 5/10 rule generally meant for times when you are facing a raise and you have position (as it seems to state in book) or should it be used even OOP??
Old 12-06-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the 5/10 rule generally meant for times when you are facing a raise and you have position (as it seems to state in book) or should it be used even OOP??

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally in position. Against good players, I can fold small pairs and connectors preflop out position in heads-up situations.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally the tables are too loose and you get too many callers on your raises. You want to isolate with 1010 or JJ. If you get 2 or 3 callers and an overcard on the flop, how are you feeling about the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard play here has been to raise TT+ from UTG and lead with a CB if no more than one over falls, although if the over is an A, I'm much less likely to CB. Three callers, depending on the over, probably kills my willingness to CB, but thats read dependent. If you get a call, you can get rid of the hand pretty easily, but in my experience, on a solo overcard flop, your CB generally wins the flop.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally in position. Against good players, I can fold small pairs and connectors preflop out position in heads-up situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for replying. That seems to be the only time that I really fold pocket pairs. Do you use the 5/10 rule in regards to both yours and villains stack, or just your own stack?? Seems like villains stack should come into consideration also? (obviously?)
Old 12-07-2005, 02:10 AM

So many of these situation are read dependent, it's really impossible come up with a quantitative list.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for replying. That seems to be the only time that I really fold pocket pairs. Do you use the 5/10 rule in regards to both yours and villains stack, or just your own stack?? Seems like villains stack should come into consideration also? (obviously?)

[/ QUOTE ]

You use the smaller stack, since that's what determines how much money gets into the pot. So, if you are using the 5/10 rule to figure out if you should call an UTG 4xBB pre-flop raise, both of you need to have at least 40xBB in your stack. It was mentioned earlier about the opponent only having 7BB left after his raise and how set mining there was the bad call, but its the same bad call if you are the one with 7BB because you can't extract enough when you hit to compensate for when you miss.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:13 AM

As others have said this is very read/table dependent. Also what do you mean by play? Im not raiseing 22 utg but ill limp. I'm not limping AA utg but ill raise. Also calling from the SB depends on how many limpers there are. Too sketchy of a poll to tell anything beyond real generizations