Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: am I a donkFish

You had the right read, but you didn't have the cards to be making calls like this. What if he had a pair of tens or a small pocket pair. He could be betting like this in those scenarios.
In this situation, I would be calling with really good hands, and folding the rest to raises like this. Its better that you be the agressor and steal a blind later from the next guy than try to defend these blinds.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:24 PM

Looks like it might be a bluff, but how stupid do you feel when he flip over A9 or 55? Even if you think he maybe is bluffing, this is a fold. But then again you shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place.

To put it in donkfish terms: "You are risking your TOURNAMENT LIFE dude!" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM

i cant see ur river call allin can be profitable over the long run...no matter how much you feel its a bluff

his post flop play is even worse than ur preflop.....but...
i will say that trusting ur gut is a good way to go...but dont make irrational "gut" calls....ive made calls that a lot of people on this forum said not to call....but my reasoning behind those calls were backed by hard thinking and analyzing everything about the hand...and when i made the call i was very sure that i had it.......

and lastly...u coulda avoided this tough river decision by betting the flop or the turn.....

one.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM

One mistake that beginners make all the time is the one you just describe. Even if he is bluffing, you have nothing! Why give him your chips? What do you think he was bluffing with? 72o. Even if he had 72 he was in position to bluff, and you show 0 strengh. BTW if he'd had 72 and you'd called and win, it would be a mistake from your part to call regardless of the result.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:48 PM

You really have to remain patient. It is really hard to sit there a let someone steal from you, but if you don't have a hand, you don't have a hand and at this point you can afford to lose the 100.

Just remember, if he is stealing here he will try again. And next time the blinds will be higher and you might pick up a hand.

Last night I had someone stealing my BB from the SB with min-raises on the bubble. She did every time without fail. I can't stand folding my BB to a min-raise, but I was short stacked and had to stay patient. Eventually I made a move back at her, and ended up with more chips than what she stole on previous rounds.

This leads me to ask, do guys feel it can be beneficial to let someone steal your blinds at will in the earlier rounds, because with the increasing blinds you just have to usually catch them once to make their steals profitable for yourself?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:56 PM

No, dont bother. If you have a hand at the first attempt they make just punish them the same. They might think you just want to defend your blinds with garbage. Also, you can gain respect and bluff later on.