Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: I call down with AKs

without reading any replies:

I think this is definitely a situation where you need to varry your play. I'm sure many will disagree, but I would strongly advocate a c/r on this turn every once in a while (1/10-1/15 times). This will make a turn or river fold (which should be your stabdard play depending on particulars) far better the rest of the time. If used sparingly the turn c/r is probably close on its own anyways.

I really think that people underestimate how important it is to varry your play against observant opponents (they don't even have to be good, many LAGs pay attention too). Finding the correct play based on optimal immediate EV should not be the overwhelmingly dominant factor in poker decisions, yet it is the overwhelmingly dominant focus of evaluation in these boards.

in other words: shania is grossely underrated IMHO.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:40 AM

maybe I am mistaken but from all the mid-high stuff I've read on this kind of scenario...a flop c/r followed by turn lead is the standard line to use here...right?

actaully nothing to do with the board, your holding, or your opponent. just you are HU and c/ring every flop gives away the least information while keeping the pressure on...am i getting somethign wrong here?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is definitely a situation where you need to vary your play. I'm sure many will disagree...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree strongly.

[ QUOTE ]
I really think that people underestimate how important it is to varry your play against observant opponents (they don't even have to be good, many LAGs pay attention too). Finding the correct play based on optimal immediate EV should not be the overwhelmingly dominant factor in poker decisions, yet it is the overwhelmingly dominant focus of evaluation in these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way.

It's funny, because when we talk about heads up matches we recognize that no hand can be analyzed in a vacuum and every play must be seen within the fluid context of the ebb and flow of the match and we recognize the supreme importance of shifting gears and mixing our play.

But we tend to analyze "normal" hands in relative isolation, as if there is clearly a best line that can be discovered through logic and math. But without the ebb and flow, it's impossible to correctly gauge the metagame values.

I'm not saying we should all {be / this / guy} but we could use a little more acknowledgement about the importance of mixed strategies and metagame management, especially in short-handed play, even at the lower stakes.

I'm not sure what I want here. I don't want people to post a lot of "it depends" responses. To some degree monostrategy responses are just a limitation of our format. We want to find which play is best, A or B, but often the truth is if you ALWAYS did A or ALWAYS did B you would be making a mistake. But to say that each time is tiresome.

I guess that's one of the cool things about people posting videos of their sessions. Not only do you get more ebb and flow, but you also get to see them thinking as they hover their cursor over the raise button, then the call button, then the fold button.

For me, the trajectory of that cursor as it orbits between the gravity wells of the various plays expresses a lot about the non-linear nature of poker strategy that gets lost in our "find the best line" format.

/mc