Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Turned a Set: NL $600

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Every single time, without exception, against a guy who loves to check/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah man call the check raise and push blank turn

QQ is good enough against his LAG c-r hand range on such drawy board.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if so why not reraise on the turn instead of calling?

[/ QUOTE ]
I definately considered it, but thought that he was on a pure bluff or a weaker made hand enough of the time that I wanted him to be able to bet river, too... although it sure puts me in a tough spot when a 4th spade/straight card comes off...

Honestly.. at the time, I was afraid of the flush... but then I bravely got over it on the river...

Thinking about it now, I think I prefer a turn push.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:07 AM

Interesting thoughts, here.

This puts me in a pretty tough spot on the turn.... but it sure is more profitable against his range.

What about non-blank turns?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:10 AM

Actually... a spade turn gives me pretty good fold equity against his legit hands... now that I think about it.... although it does leave me drawing dead against a flush....

Man I'm all over the place on this one...
Old 12-01-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

personally i like the check behind, heres why:
you decide to bet: how much to bet lets say you follow with 40-50 this is a decent size follow up of alittle more than 2/3 the pot to pot size. anything bigger is just uncalled for, with you and villian each sitting with around 700 there is no way he is folding nutflush draw to that bet-
so now u toss 50 in the pot, there is just no way villain is folding here so this leaves 2 options for villain
calling-not likely based on description- not bad option, nothing worse than semi bluffing to get reraised for all your chips where you now have to fold.
raising- a decent raise here would be very like the villain according to what you described, most likely hand selection will be Kx, small set, or a draw of some type. so you almost have to fold here, unless you have a great read to push over the top of your opponent if you think he had that "random bizerker mode" or you can correctly put him on a draw, or a hand that he would fold to your repush

assuming villain will fold K-x to repush (which would be about 600 or so)- calling the check raise is just donating money to the pot that you will lose once any non Q comes off the deck.

however the negatives of not betting are assuming he is an aggresive smart player, after you check it is a +EV move for him to toss out a pot size bet on the turn regardless of his holdings to see if he can take it right there, losing alot of your leverage as the raiser.

either way the only way you can get saved is by A)folding to the checkraise (but this also means you fold the best hand) or B) repushing- not the best move becuase if he does have AK or a set then or then you basically hand away your chips. although it prob would have worked here becyase he happened to have a draw in this case

aside from that i think alot of people take a hit for atleast 350 and i personally think it would be foolish to not put in the last 225, so id lose the whole thing-id chalk this up to the cooler column
Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 AM

The problem with allin's line is that I get very little fold equity against his made hands.

The benefit is that I get very little fold equity against his draws, and I let him bluff twice.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:37 AM

by the way, my questions were more for my enlightenment. i'm fairly new to poker, and just trying to find out how others think about their actions. the more questions i ask the better i get.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:42 AM

Fair enough.

On reflection, I think that my turn and river play are inconsistant. I think that if I'm just going to call on the turn, I should not raise, and maybe even fold, on the river. In other words, against this player, I should not call the turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually... a spade turn gives me pretty good fold equity against his legit hands...

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn, too late to delete this one.... stacks are too short and pot is too big for any bluff equity on a spade turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah man call the check raise and push blank turn

QQ is good enough against his LAG c-r hand range on such drawy board.

[/ QUOTE ]

not a bad play, but not great: say you toss 50 on flop he then bumps to 150, if you call and push on a blank he will prob lead (him acting first) for atleast 100-200 on turn, which means he will only have 300-400 behind- after he put in 400 and you put in 800 he might still call(provided a blank came on turn opposed to Q)-so if you decide your QQ is good, better to push on flop-on that board not many cards will be considered blanks for you against a LAG check raiser with a varied hand

also your not sure what is a blank and whats not- he may have open ended, 5,8 or 8,9 or 4,5 2 spades, any 2 cards, basically you will be putting in alot of money hoping he doesnt have it, after you give him the turn card, making his decision easy.