Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: You flop a set, now what do you do?

I would smooth call let him bet the turn.

Here I would elect for an overbet all-in.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would smooth call let him bet the turn.

Here I would elect for an overbet all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has TT-AA he's calling.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:21 PM

I rarely slowplay... but this looks like a good flop slowplay.

Unless his range is JJ+ AKs, then go ahead and start building the pot.

Echo... echo... echo...

Edit: Just noticed it was a LRR.... raise pot.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:47 PM

was he the first limper? If yes i'm thinking he has a big pair... raise, and get the rest in on the turn. If no i'm thinking he has a small/mid pair, call and let him bet at you again on the turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM

Hmmm. It is hard to say this, but this looks like a perfect slow-play opportunity. Villain likes his hand and is drawing very thin here. Call and make your move on the turn. If nothing else, at a minimum you extract one more bet from villain and with villain drawing so thin you can't worry about him catching up.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:12 PM

I agree...although you might wince at a J-A falling on the turn, he is almost certainly going to commit himself on the turn, and there are no reasonable scare cards on the turn....I don't know..I'm torn, if he has something like QQ and a king comes off on the turn or an ace.

I think I'd just have to slowplay this flop and pray for a deuce on the turn so he'll fire again...or if he has an unimproved AK, pray for an A or K. I think slowplay is appropriate on this flop only if he is a thinking player..a thinking player will probably release AA on this board when he's raised...what could you be raising him with?..he's already told you he has aces by limp raising. If he's a bad player, you are probably getting his money no matter what.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree...although you might wince at a J-A falling on the turn, he is almost certainly going to commit himself on the turn, and there are no reasonable scare cards on the turn....I don't know..I'm torn, if he has something like QQ and a king comes off on the turn or an ace.

I think I'd just have to slowplay this flop and pray for a deuce on the turn so he'll fire again...or if he has an unimproved AK, pray for an A or K. I think slowplay is appropriate on this flop only if he is a thinking player..a thinking player will probably release AA on this board when he's raised...what could you be raising him with?..he's already told you he has aces by limp raising. If he's a bad player, you are probably getting his money no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

it boils down to villain's hand range. if his hand range is really wide, then calling is better. if his hand range is premium hands only, then raising is better.

only hero can answer this question.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Results

The results of this are fairly insignificant. I thought for about 30 seconds on the flop and then called. He was a half way decent player and I didn't want to raise and scare him from making a turn bet. The turn was a 3, making 2 diamonds. He goes all-in. I beat him into the pot. The river is a K, but he has AA not KK so I stack him.

I was torn between smooth calling and raising and it seems like everyone on here was too. I figured the limp re-raise almost guaranteed AA.

Does anyone think if I raise the flop I wind up not getting his stack?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Results

In this case, you probably would have gotten his stack anyway
Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think if I raise the flop I wind up not getting his stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

not from a guy who limps with aces, then min-reraises. he is begging for action at any cost and will absolutely not fold here. you could raise the flop all in and he'd call without a second thought.