Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: $33 - AK with an ugly board

I think you should start thinking about the type of hands villain could have preflop, then start to narrow that hand range down postflop to the type of hands that can make a call here.

I think that your hand range includes hands like AK, KJ, and KT. Besides all the obvious Qx hands, I also think a hand like KT and KJ are certainly calling this flop bet. What's really challenging is the turn c/c. I would think someone who has a lone Q is gonna feel a little uncertain about a straight draw, so your villain either has a boat, or a hand that you probably have a better kicker for (or perhaps a rare chance that he has TT.)

After you check the turn, and check the river, you certainly open it up for villain to make this move with more hands than just Qx.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM

I'd call the river here.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After you check the turn, and check the river, you certainly open it up for villain to make this move with more hands than just Qx.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've basically said "OMG IM WEAK BLUFF ME" about as loud as you can by the river. I think it's a mandatory call.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM

I can't see what other line you can take on the turn. If you bet out, he's gonna push with a wide range of hands, and folding can be a terrible mistake against many of his holdings. So the only way to really get the money in best here whether WA or WB is to check and call the river, I think.

It's an interesting discussion, however. I'm not even sure if betting the flop is wise..
Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check. Hopefully he checks behind, if not, well, you're getting your stack in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold. What exactly are you beating here that called a raise preflop and called a bet on the flop?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see what other line you can take on the turn. If you bet out, he's gonna push with a wide range of hands, and folding can be a terrible mistake against many of his holdings. So the only way to really get the money in best here whether WA or WB is to check and call the river, I think.

It's an interesting discussion, however. I'm not even sure if betting the flop is wise..

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say checking both streets was wrong, we're WAWB as you said unless the guy's got some weird hand like JT so calling down is really the best way to go.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:09 PM

Sorry it was meant as a reply to splashpot, as he alluded to a different line on the turn.

If he bets the turn pineapple, you're right, it may be a check/fold. I was rushing the reply at the time.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Check/fold. What exactly are you beating here that called a raise preflop and called a bet on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're beating KJ, KT, TT. You're tied with AK. I agree that this is a WA/WB situation. And checking on the river is the only good/profitable move.