Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: 45suited, 1000NL

[ QUOTE ]
iceman, that's a ridiculous line of thought. absolutely awful thinking. what is he betting that he calls my raise that doesn't beat me? if i call, i beat air, and if i raise, air folds, so raising is ONLY about extracting value from actual hands that can call me. and i'm saying in this case, raising for value is thin IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have got to be kidding me. This is 3 handed. He'll call you with all kinds of hands....and even if he doesnt call you, you have to raise sometimes just so he wont lead into you on the river like that.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If youre not going to raise that river, then dont raise 54s preflop and dont play 3 handed. You have to raise that river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the worst arguments commonly put forward in SSNL. "If you're not going to raise/call/whatever, don't play [x]". Luckily, it doesn't show up too often in Mid/High. That's good, because it is a bad argument. As you play a hand, you get more information. Preflop play and river play don't always link up. If you hit a set, you don't always have to play it fast, nor are you required to take it to showdown. There's nothing wrong with raising 54s and then playing cautiously against a good player. I'm not saying anything about this particular hand; I'm just attacking the argument. I didn't really look at the hand to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats hilarious. You feel the need to comment about my comments but you didnt even read the hand thoroughly? Whats your point in doing that?

This is 3 handed. If you are afraid to value raise the river with a very disguised straight (disguised since you raised preflop with 54s) just because theres a pair on the board, then you'll get eaten alive playing short handed.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:36 PM

My point is to get people to stop using that argument. It is dumb and never correct.

I raise the river as well.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:36 PM

now that makes more sense iceman. but, as stated before, stack sizes are awkward, so any decent sized raise commits me to an all-in. And i need more information (i.e. will he 3-bet me?)

Does no one think a min-raise, fold to 3-bet is better than the raise I made?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:19 PM

You said he likes raising scared-looking river bets with air if his read is you made a "raise, but fold to a push" raise. I don't think making a tiny raise giving him room to bluff you an unknown percentage of the time is good. If you are going to raise, a sizeable raise is good, I'd say 700-800 or just a push. That looks more bluff-like and will still get called by most hands that would have called 600.

However, if I get the vibe or whatever that I'm beat, I have no qualms just calling this river. No sense raising because you "have to." Granted, I do usually raise here, but I've definitely called before too.

Given your read, I like a call or a big raise about equally. If you had that vibe you were beat going, as raising felt wrong to you when you did it, then I like a call a lot more than a raise.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:33 PM

Dude, that's standard. If you don't make this move you'll miss out in lots of value over the long-haul.
nicely played.