Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: KK vs. AA

4.39% of the time when you are dealt KK, one of your opponents at a 9 handed table will have AA?

What if you have QQ...what are the chances that at least 1 opponent has either KK or AA at that same 9 handed table?
I'm no math wiz like you guys are... lol
but this number IS
greater than 2 times 4.39% correct?

I think the answer to this q. wuold be very interesting...for tournament as well as cash game play.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4.39% of the time when you are dealt KK, one of your opponents at a 9 handed table will have AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

10-handed table, 9 opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
What if you have QQ...what are the chances that at least 1 opponent has either KK or AA at that same 9 handed table?
I'm no math wiz like you guys are... lol
but this number IS
greater than 2 times 4.39% correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent question. Now see if you can find a post in this thread which links you to the answer. At least for 10-handed. Hint: Start with the post that you responded to.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 PM

thanks Bruce,

...i think I may print out your post there and hang it on my wall...

Joe M.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:14 PM

just ran your numbers, and it seems like you will run into either AA or KK at a 10 handed table when you have QQ 1 out of every 11.6 times, or 8.62% of the time...

This is less than 2 times 4.39% (which is how often your KK with run into AA at that same table...).

It seemed to me that running into either AA or KK when you are dealt Queens
should definitely be greater than 2 times 4.39%...But it's only 1.96 (essentially twice as likely) times as likely...

is this correct?

Also how about for JJ? (running into either AA, KK, or QQ 10 handed...)
Old 11-28-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just ran your numbers, and it seems like you will run into either AA or KK at a 10 handed table when you have QQ 1 out of every 11.6 times, or 8.62% of the time...

This is less than 2 times 4.39% (which is how often your KK with run into AA at that same table...).

It seemed to me that running into either AA or KK when you are dealt Queens
should definitely be greater than 2 times 4.39%...But it's only 1.96 (essentially twice as likely) times as likely...

is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It is slightly less than twice as likely for subtle reasons having to do with the number of ways that 2 or more opponents can have these hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Also how about for JJ? (running into either AA, KK, or QQ 10 handed...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now follow the link at the end of the post that I linked to, and that will take you to a thread where I have that answer too, along with some others, except those are for 9-handed. You should be able to adjust it. For JJ, 1 in 8.9 for 9-handed changes to 1 in 7.9 =~ 12.6% for 10-handed.

I'm wondering if some of you are using infopop2 and can't see these links unless you put your mouse over them.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if some of you are using infopop2 and can't see these links unless you put your mouse over them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. We are all just lazy and need you to spoon feed us you genius information in this current thread. lol

Thanks again,
Old 11-30-2005, 04:24 PM

P = 1-((1-(4/50*3/49))**9) = 0.043227790514728970611015358928372