Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Kiss of Death

what really sucks when you have an allergy to bananas and latex.
I was a camp counselor once and there was a girl who couldn't come in contact with either. Probably will hurt her sex life in the future.....

....and I'm talking about the bananas. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if kids become allergic to textbooks???

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the test scores for kids nowadays, I think they are already are!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind being sensitive to peoples "disabilities". But where do you draw the line? School kids are no longer allowed to bring peanut butter or anything made of peanuts for school lunch. What happens when someone becomes allergic to cotton? Will we all have to wear alternate fabrics because they can't handle it? There is a lot of "accomodating" going on here, I just wonder where this will lead in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between a peanut allergy and most other allergies is that peanut allergies are more likely to be life threatening than other allergies. Peanut allergies are also relatively common, as allergies go. Also, the person suffering from the allergy doesn't need to consume the peanut -- sometimes it is enough for the person to get the oil on his/her skin. Kids have died after one child ate a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, handled modelling clay with peanut-oil covered hands, and then the allergic child handled the same modelling clay.

Banning peanuts in schools is *not* a huge accomodation for people to make. This is a life-threatening condition for some kids, and asking parents not to put other children's lives at risk through what they pack for their kids' lunches is not asking too much.