Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Bad bluff?

[ QUOTE ]
The turn was not a complete brick

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant it was a brick from the opponent's persepctive. Sure, he might also have just made a flush draw, but the odds are really against it. Almost every time Hero checks this turn, the opponent will check behind.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant it was a brick from the opponent's persepctive. Sure, he might also have just made a flush draw, but the odds are really against it. Almost every time Hero checks this turn, the opponent will check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero did check the turn and villain bet [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That's why I like the check/raise better than the call here.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero did check the turn and villain bet [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That's why I like the check/raise better than the call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that Hero going for a check-raise here will usually fail. It wouldn't have in this specific case, but to say that the best play here is to go for a checkk-raise is to be results-oriented.

Suppose hero posted this instead:

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
1 fold, MP raises to $3, Button calls $3, Hero calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($12) 5, K, 5 (4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($12) 2 (4 players)
Hero ... ?

Would you still recommend check-raise? We have no reason to believe that the opponent will bet here if we check. If we are going to run a bluff, we should bet ourselves instead. If we check here, the opponent will usually check behind.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:59 PM

I see your point. I agree that in general, the c/r is destined to fail, but in this case I felt it was the best (even if it is likely to be unsucessful) chance for hero to take down the pot.

Don't you have to be results-oriented to a certain degree to evaluate each situation since there are no one-size-fits-all rules. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 01:29 PM

hm, that's an interesting question...
Old 11-25-2005, 01:38 PM

MP's stack size makes this a really bad preflop call.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP's stack size makes this a really bad preflop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not that interested in MP - only in villain.
I get 3:1 on my call - is it that bad? I know I'm OOP, but villains range is quite broad. Villains HR is also quite big IMO.
I usually C/F the flop if I don't hit hard, but I felt like making a move, because I felt that villain was a thinking opponent who would fold a small PP.

Villain insta-folded my river bet, and I took down the pot. But it seems like the general consensus is it's -EV.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:55 PM

Trying to bluff into 3 people multiway on a dry river card... one of which is short stacked isn't a great idea. HU I'll pop it here if I think the opponent will lay down.

Otherwise you got lucky they all folded.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to bluff into 3 people multiway on a dry river card... one of which is short stacked isn't a great idea. HU I'll pop it here if I think the opponent will lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were HU at the river - I called the turn thinking I had immlied odds to chase my flush/maybe overcard/pure bluff if I got (a) call(s), and could take the pot if I was HU against villain.
I might've been lucky - it seems like people don't like the move, so I guess it's not one to incorporate ATM [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]