Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Hand from \'How Good is your Limit Hold\'em\'

I'd checkraise. Checkraising totally disguises your hand too. No one ever thinks you're checkraising the Q. Good deception move.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet out. I don't think checkraising is a viable option as you'd be creating a situation where anyone with a flush draw will have the odds, and a pot equity edge, and your raise will obviously be called by anyone who already put one bet in there. I'd look to thin the field here myself, trying keeping the pot as SMALL as possible. I mean its tough, because anyone with a live flush draw will be getting correct odds to draw whether you bet or checkraise. Is my line of thinking wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

eesh, we've got a fantastic hand and you want to keep the pot small?? I want to build this sucker as big as I can ( granted I'm worried about a Q with a bigger kicker but
we'll hear about that on the cheap streets if we 3 bet a bet/raise and then it's capped .)

Flush draws are calling a bet raise no matter what size the pot is, not getting rid of them. What other draws are there to worry about? no straights, no sets (except k or A spiking BB's possible KK or AA, but he's not going anywhere no matter what)
I check raise it
Old 11-23-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I hate calling pre-flop in the SB with Q6o, even for half a bet. I definitely fold when it is raised back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part I was wondering about. I fold this all the time as well, bad move?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:32 PM

Hero goes for the check/raise. If the BB appears to only take notice of his own cards, then the two queens on the board will not discourage him from betting when checked to, nor will it discourage him from raising you if you bet. The pot is big here, but you can't protect your hand against the only hands you are worried about (flush draws). Unless there is a bigger Q out you have a strangle hold on this pot and want to trap the field for as many bets as you can. Betting will most likely result in the field having to call 2 cold and then you will probably only be called by hands that are correct to do so.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 PM

Checkraise. You can't protect your hand here

You wont be able to protect your hand here by betting and hoping the BB raises your bet and you don't want this to happen as it will thin the field.

Anyone with a flush draw is not folding with 2 hearts on board and anyone with the other Q is not folding either
Old 11-23-2005, 01:35 PM

Go for the checkraise. The pf raiser is on yur immediate left and is likely to bet at this board allowing you to trap the field for multiple bets. You don't want to bet into the BB and have him blow out with a raise the many players who are likely already drawing dead to yuor trips.

Moreover, in addition to the risk of giving a free card being very low (IMO), the danger of giving one (in that unlikely event) is not that high. The draws that should be calling (flush draws) are getting odds anyway and you aren't even charging them to draw given the size of the field if most of the field calls. Yes, a free card could allow smeone to pick up a solid draw on the turn, but that small risk is far outweighed by the benefits of check-raising the field.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we check intending to C/R, and BB bets, he'll be offering all of the inbetween players an immediate 13:1, and when you C/R you will be offering them even better odds when it is back to them (since they only have to call one bet at a time). This means that some VERY weak draws can continue profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's say someone has a 3 outer, and makes a bit of a loose call getting 1:13 on implied odds. We raise behind them and they call again "getting good pot odds". They're making money here right? WRONG!

You're looking at it piece by piece rather than the big picture. They just put in 2 bets on the flop for what ends up being about a 21 bet pot (4 way to the turn?). So they essentially put in 2 bets, relying on implied odds, only getting around 1:10 with a 3 outer. We just induced them to make a significant error, which is profitable for us.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:39 PM

Seems to me like a fairly easy C/R. I don't know why anybody cares about the potential flush draws.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Question is, does Hero go for the check/raise, or bet

For someone talking to an audience that is sophisticated enough to understand the benefits of a complete-fold line preflop, this flop question is amazingly facile.

Better choices might consist of...

Check-grab beer-raise
Check-raise-grab beer

Now that is a tough call right there.

Brad
Old 11-23-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For someone talking to an audience that is sophisticated enough to understand the benefits of a complete-fold line preflop, this flop question is amazingly facile.

Better choices might consist of...

Check-grab beer-raise
Check-raise-grab beer

Now that is a tough call right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I like "Check- grab beer- raise - grab beer". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]