Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: I step back for a second...

[ QUOTE ]
He played A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] like a champion, and I was disappointed that I hadn't thought of it. This was one of the few times that I actually think my opponent was thinking on the 3rd level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he played this particularly well, FWIW. I like the bet-call, bet-3bet line with the right hand, but not with AJs on this flop with this turn.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He played A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] like a champion, and I was disappointed that I hadn't thought of it. This was one of the few times that I actually think my opponent was thinking on the 3rd level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he played this particularly well, FWIW. I like the bet-call, bet-3bet line with the right hand, but not with AJs on this flop with this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you consider "the right hand" in this spot?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:30 PM

It's definitely going to be a new note for me.

And...I didn't 3 bet, I just raised.

Also, the 6 max thingy
Old 11-22-2005, 11:31 PM

Fold the river unimproved. Next time consider just calling the turn when bet into.

- Jim
Old 11-22-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like his line here with any of his hands. His play seems reasonable when HU, but you are just missing out on too much value with good hands when the 3rd player coldcalls. Imagine putting 5 coldcallers in the middle and then call-donking with a set or flush (or whatever he has here). That would just be terrible, but I feel like we can even extend it down to a 3-way pot. Metagame goes out the window IMO when he has a full SB sitting out there for the taking.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand but don't you think MP is going to be hard-pressed to fold a large % of his holdings on this flop (that he wouldn't outright muck to one bet) giving that he called three cold before the flop?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he played this particularly well, FWIW. I like the bet-call, bet-3bet line with the right hand, but not with AJs on this flop with this turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Against the "raise the donkbet" type of player this is the perfect hand to do it on"

If my notes indicate you are a "raise the donkbet" type of player then I am taking this line everytime time
Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 PM

Edit: I need to go to bed.

- Jim
Old 11-22-2005, 11:35 PM

Your right I read the hand wrong. Anyways I still just call this down.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like his line here with any of his hands. His play seems reasonable when HU, but you are just missing out on too much value with good hands when the 3rd player coldcalls. Imagine putting 5 coldcallers in the middle and then call-donking with a set or flush (or whatever he has here). That would just be terrible, but I feel like we can even extend it down to a 3-way pot. Metagame goes out the window IMO when he has a full SB sitting out there for the taking.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree Brad, but I need to find out exactly what you're saying.

Are you saying he should 3 bet the flop?

Are you saying he should c/r the turn?

What line do you feel is best?

I like his line the best.

1. I think 3 betting the flop is OK. But, really given the way the hand has played out, he's behind right now, and pumping the draw here isn't all that valuable since there's just the 3 of us. I'm sure there's some value there, but I think he can make up for it on a bigger street by showing less aggression here on the cheaper street.

2. If he does catch, his bet, 3-bet line is going to work really well against me.

I mean, let's say he goes for the c/r on the turn. I'm going to bet about every time here, and there's a decent chance that the 3rd wheel is going to leave anyway. Now he raises, and that's all he gets.

?????
Old 11-22-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you consider "the right hand" in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with TP + FD, with the PF 3-bettor to his immediate left, and with another player to act after QTip, he should be check-raising this field on the flop instead of leading, and I don't think it is that close.

His turn lead is OK, and a turn C/R would be OK, too. His read on QTip would help make the decision, as he should probably be thinking hard about (1) whether QTip is likely to raise the donk, and (2) how the other player will react to 1 bet versus 2 getting 9+:1 when facing a QTip lead. He should also of course be considering whether QTip is willing and able to check the turn through despite the fact that his flop raise didn't buy him the button.