Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Are the ROI\'s in the FAQ really attainable

Also moving up limits may prepare you mentaly for the sums involved.

A bad day in the 100s especialy if you play alot of games is going to mean swings in the 1K+ ball park.

I once lost 2k+ in one day in the 100s,even though less than a week before this I had won slightly more in one day, that loss, hit my psyche like a hammer. I went on a massive tilt afterwards and it turns out that day and that loss is the defining moment in my poker career.

Running V bad is tough enough let alone haveing to deal with a massive loss in $ terms as a consequence. The abilty to deal with the swings at those limits as well as actual raw poker ability is essential if you want to avoid my fate.

I made a fast rise to the 100s. Playing about 3 months at the 30s and 50s repsectively, I was allways BRed to play at each limit including the 100s, but had not played enough games to experience realy bad variance. I got my education into the realities of poker when I hit the 100s.

My advice would be find a limit where you are comfortable with the swings and play at that limit till you experience your first 15/20+ buy in drop. Once you have stared into the dark heart of poker and are sure you can live with the consequences of its frigid beats, then you can climb the upper echolons of the poker ladder.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:56 AM

with a 5% ROI at the 109s the variance will kill you. I would much rather play the 55s with a 8-10% ROI or whatever.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will just skip past the 30's and 50's since I have seen that on here many people have said their not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. Whoever said that didn't know what they were talking about at all.

eastbay
Old 11-21-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why skip the 33s and 55s? I definately think they're worth it. I think it would be a huge mistake to go straight to 109s. Drastic change in your opponents being one reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a true statement, I don't know where you saw that but it is wrong.

FYI, if you look in the archives you'll find a bunch of posts where eastbay (one of the most respected posters in this forum) was crushing the 55s and managed to lose a ton every time he moved to the 109s. Something to think about, he doesn't post much anymore so I don't know if he ever did make the transition.

[/ QUOTE ]

$109 is my main game. Still haven't made the transition to $215.

I don't strictly track my stats anymore, though, so I couldn't tell you what my ROI is.

eastbay
Old 11-21-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will just skip past the 30's and 50's since I have seen that on here many people have said their not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I do recall people saying that the 33s aren't worth it, that people should skip straight to the 55s from the 22s, but that's totally different IMO. And probably wrong.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I do recall people saying that the 33s aren't worth it, that people should skip straight to the 55s from the 22s, but that's totally different IMO. And probably wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to a mortgage payment and a slight case of tilt at the 20/40 stud/8 tables on party (playing after I got tired because I was slightly stuck followed by really stuck), I am rebuilding my party roll in the 33's. It's way too early to tell, but there is a chance my hourly rate may be higher at the 33's than the 55's. (And my current 109 rate has this funny dash in front of it, otherwise it is good [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were a hardcore $55 grinder, I'd make this recommendation to all $11 and $22 players [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Mmmmmm fishsticks....
Old 11-21-2005, 12:37 PM

Personally, I think anyone that has shown a positive ROI on the $5+1s, with a significant sample size of at least 5 tournaments, should jump immediately to the $50+5 games, starting tonight at 8 PM, when I get home.

The game is truly easy, and will get easier, if everyone follows this plan. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Playing the $11s, $22s, and $33s is just a waste of potential profits!