Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: hrm...?

If you're not going to bet when your AQ hits, then fold it down preflop...hitting and checking the flop makes little sense. You're going to let someone draw free, because your hand might not be good anyway? What?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait are you serious that you dont bet this flop mercman??

you dont HAVE to play a large pot multiway, you can check turn, you dont have to bet full pot, etc., but dont you want some value? worse aces will call you down

this can be a very +EV position

[/ QUOTE ]

depends, loose passive I'll bet this almost every time. Lag I'll let them bet for me since they'll bet a weaker ace . I will call and see if anybody else comes along. I find I can much better find out where I'm at and also represent the flush draw by betting turn if it falls on the turn if I figure my ace might not be good.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not going to bet when your AQ hits, then fold it down preflop...hitting and checking the flop makes little sense. You're going to let someone draw free, because your hand might not be good anyway? What?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not understand the contingencies of a hand? I will stack off with AQ when the opponent is a certain type, and I will fold it when I hit my ace against another. Against unknowns and OOP I lean towards weaktight. Note I don't advocate folding this at any point.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You bet and then check turn. This is bad, you're giving a free card ANYWAY. You charge him to see one card instead of 2 eitherway, except you invest your money when your hand has more of a chance of being outdrawn with potting the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather give a free river than a free turn card

[ QUOTE ]
Do you not understand the contingencies of a hand? I will stack off with AQ when the opponent is a certain type, and I will fold it when I hit my ace against another. Against unknowns and OOP I lean towards weaktight. Note I don't advocate folding this at any point.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what happens when they check the flop, and the turn is a spade? By playing weak tight, you've just deemed your hand useless for 20% of the time.

If you check, and then bet the turn...if the turn is a rag, and you have a caller, then they probably would have called on the flop anyway. If the turn is a spade or completes a draw, then you're probably behind. There's no reason to check, and then bet.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You bet and then check turn. This is bad, you're giving a free card ANYWAY. You charge him to see one card instead of 2 eitherway, except you invest your money when your hand has more of a chance of being outdrawn with potting the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather give a free river than a free turn card

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Bet flop bet turn check river to induce a bluff hasn't been discussed yest but its a good line especially with a read
Old 11-20-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet flop bet turn check river to induce a bluff hasn't been discussed yest but its a good line especially with a read

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what we've been saying! But your first reply was questioning why someone would bet the flop...
Old 11-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Raise preflop, bet flop, c/c turn, c/r river all in.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait are you serious that you dont bet this flop mercman??

you dont HAVE to play a large pot multiway, you can check turn, you dont have to bet full pot, etc., but dont you want some value? worse aces will call you down

this can be a very +EV position

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think I addressed this fully. I check the flop to induce action from a weak ace when it might fold when I bet. I feel that a weak ace will bet and a draw will check behind if I check. I feel I gain more action from weak aces this way. I feel it allows villain to more clearly define his hand while opening up a call from a weak ace if it gets checked through when I bet the turn, and if someone has a flush draw I lay worse odds by betting the turn rather than the flop.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet flop bet turn check river to induce a bluff hasn't been discussed yest but its a good line especially with a read

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what we've been saying! But your first reply was questioning why someone would bet the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah I was playing devils advocate [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I don't think there are clear cut lines in this situation and illustrating that
Old 11-20-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, bet flop, c/c turn, c/r river all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are a pooh-bah and all, but it is hardly beneficial to simply give a line without any rationale.

Would you care to elaborate on the c/r all in on the river?