Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: ajax on the button, play-along

I think this guy is trying to get tricky with you. With that postflop aggression, he isn't going crazy with a flush draw, and that makes his turn check even more suspicious. I check behind and call any bet on the river, unless of course we hit our straight.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:44 PM

Check behind. One thing I've learned from my time at 6-max is that neglecting to protect your hand in these sorts of HU pots isn't such a big deal, while consistently walking into retarded check-raises that you have to pay off is.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:47 PM

(Aside: I always seem to catch these threads on the turn.)

I think I check behind on the turn too, but I'd like the board to at least consider that we may not be behind on the flop.

My thoughts, right or wrong:
I really don't want to make any huge decisions (like folding top pair decent kicker) based primarily on this guy's aggression factor. I don't know a whole lot of the theory about how quickly these things converge, but we have 40 hands on him, and with a 27% vpip, he's seen about 10 flops with maybe a free play or 2 from the BB. Assuming he only hits about 1/3 flops on average, and could certainly be running a bit cold... It just seems very unlikely that that number has any meaning at all as far as evaluating his actual play.

I'd be more interested in what (if anything) he's shown down, and whether Hero has seen him call down or just fold when he does enter a pot. This just seems like one of those times when PT stats are going to be woefully incomplete (and quite possibly very misleading).

If I'm wrong about this (and I probably am!), please correct me.

Edit: Pot is small enough that I don't think folding the turn UI would have been a mistake...so perhaps this isn't the right thread to make this point in. But I guess I would like someone knowledgeable to speak to this.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this guy is trying to get tricky with you. With that postflop aggression, he isn't going crazy with a flush draw, and that makes his turn check even more suspicious. I check behind and call any bet on the river, unless of course we hit our straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

my feeling is, this guy wasn't being tricky. Why would he see me call his 3-bet and then check on the turn? I figured he had an ace, or the fd, so would he just call pre-flop with AK or AQ? So here's the next line...

turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls.
river: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero ???

edit: grammary
Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Since he just called your bet, I think this is a clear value bet.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might call river if J or A hits. But yeah, I get your point. I edited accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

based on this flop action, if the river is an A, he would have filled up his set, my trips counterfeits his 2 pair, or I'm perhaps out-kicked.

edit: more grammary
Old 11-16-2005, 05:57 PM

ooh, the plot thickens. I would say bet here, since the dreaded c/r didn't materialize.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Maybe this is the elusive 3bet the flop OOP for free card on turn play.

It would work on me. My check raise siren would be going off in my head forcing me to check the turn.

No flush on the river has me betting.